Squamosa Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just took my squamosa back to the lfs because it just wasnt doing well in my tank. No matter where I put it, it just wouldnt open up or stop tipping over. I put it in low flow, moderate, and high flow. I put it in low light all the way up to the top of my tank. Well, when I took it back today the guy said that it appeared that a bristle worm drilled into it? There was a hole there but I'm not sure if I want to believe him or if he just gave me a sick clam or what. So my question is, could it have really been a bristle worm that did it? If so, how can I protect my other clams from this? TIA

The short answer is, sure, it could have been either scenario. The questions to answer for yourself are related to the condition of the clam before you took it home. Was it open, colorful and healthy when you saw it before you bought it? If it was healthy when you bought it odds are something about your tank, be it conditions or predation caused it to decline. Bristle worms are opportunistic so if the clam was in poor condition then there is the possibility that it was attacked. Normal healthy stock is able to defend itself from such menacing predators.
Of course the clam could have been in poor condition to begin with and the stress of moving to a new tank pushed it over the edge. One must be vigil in this buyer beware hobby to make sure we don't adopt someone else's problem. Reading about clams and viewing healthy specimens will certainly help with selection in the future.

Peace.

Clams are suseptable to boring organisms and worms that can work their way inside the clam and lay eggs. This is likely what happended. By the time you discover this, it is likely too late for the clam

To the best of my knowledge, you cant. However, the best defense is ensuring healthy clams. Many worms and boring organisms are opportunistic and will go for a clam only after it is sick.

Okay then. Are arrow crabs an option for a back up or are they too much of a risk in a reef?

I guess for now I'll just keep feeding my clams to get them nice and healthy and pick out the bristle worms that I can see. Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom