Starfish Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warvillian

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on moving my starfish from one tank to the other. How long should I acclimate the starfish for. I believe you acclimate longer than normal.

I would do it for about 45 minutes to ensure the water is the same. Do you drip acclimate?

I use a shot glass full of new tank water into a container with the starfish and old tank water. I add a shot glass about every five minutes

Ok then. Drip is better for stars cause they are really sensitive to change in water. But just make sure to test salinity and temp to make sure they are the same before adding it to the new tank. Also, remember as little as possible, preferably no contact with the air

warvillian said:
yeah, no air is gonna be the hardest part but i have kinda of an idea

As long as you know nothing is bad in your other tank (and I wouldn't usually recommend this) you could acclimate in a safe dish and then float it in the new tank and when it's time to switch over take it right to the water line and scoop out the star

that's exactly what i as planning on doing. I know there is nothing bad in the tank the star is currently in so i figured a lil water wouldnt hurt.

Back
Top Bottom