Suggestion on keeping my livestock alive without electricity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a chance that our electricity will be out for a few days I don't have a generator and suggestions on keeping my stuff alive? Thank you for any suggestion.

I would get as much SW mixed as possible for pwc. Also, see if you can find some battery operated air pumps and extra batteries along with sponge filters. I would go ahead and put a least one sponge filter in the tank now so it can start to work with an electric pump now.

How big is your setup?

Are you in a directly affected area. First priority is to make sure you and your family are safe.

Thoughts and prayers will be with everyone affected.

Battery Operated "Bubble Boxes" for live bait work well. Keep fresh mixed SW handy, and frozen RO/DI ice cubes nearby in case your temp starts to rise.

I wonder how long one of those apc battery backups for a computer would run a small pump?

We are the lucky ones. We won't be affected like the majority. At the most we will have wind damage and no electricity. I can't run to the store the road are not passible now. There are to many people evacuating. Good idea with the frozen ro/di. I read somewhere where someone made a pump work with one of those dc batteries. I was wondering how they did it. maybe split the cord I don't know maybe my DH can figure it out. I pray for those who are truly affected.

I have even heard of taking a pitcher and scooping up water from your aquaruim and then pouring it back in to keep it oxygenated. Of course that would be tough, but it might help in a pinch. Good luck, stay safe.

We were without power for 7 hours. We ran an airstone for 15m every hour for the last 4 of those 7 hours. The APC battery backup that walmart managed the load for 2 tanks/airstones for those 4 hours. When load testing the APC we found that it would only run for 30 minutes when running a mag7. At the end of those 7 hours my fish were huffing pretty hard but they were all still alive.

I would think that if you could scoop and pour back water 15m every hour and make sure that you make a wave motion with your hand to move the water/circulate the air you're putting in that you'd be able to make it through for a while. Just make sure to move the water in addition to adding the O2 or it won't be as efficient.

Makes a generator sound good right about now, huh? We had one. Couldn't get it started (until the next day with the power on and the panick gone!!)

If you can get to a stor the inverter with an extension cord is a great idea. We ran a TV in the van for the kids with one. Should be plenty for some pumps if you have gas.

Back
Top Bottom