Tang Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
BEFORE anyway criticizes this question, please read the whole thing. Currently, I have two 40 gallon reef tanks. I started with a BC29 and then soon after I got a Nuvo 16. I upgraded the nuvo within two months to a 40 and then a few months after that, I upgraded the BC29 to a 40 ( I know it's not much of a difference, but I wanted a rimless and something with no top to run my kessil lighting). I have begun looking into upgrading one of my tanks to either a 79/90 gallon or an Elos System 100. Someone is breaking down their tank and will give me a 1 1/2" baby purple tang. I will upgrade sometime within the next 2-4 months to a bigger tank. Can this baby tang be happy in my 40 for now? It currently houses a pair of bonded Gold Flake Maroon Clowns, an elegant blenny, a springeri dottyback, a a baby multi-colored dwarf angel and a pair of Paracheilinus attenuatus flasher wrasses.

It will be fine for a short time in that tank. Even really small, they love to swim a lot. Adults need at least a 120g tank. It is a purple tang, right? Not a blue tang?

[QUOTE="Breakthecycle2;2602546 I know about the swimming, but I thought i could get away with a 4 ft.[/QUOTE]

A 6' tank is the best for a purple tang. You can look into the bristle tooth tangs for 4 foot tanks like tominis and kole tangs

You're pretty lucky for getting a free purple tang! Those things go for $180 bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6' tank is the best for a purple tang. You can look into the bristle tooth tangs for 4 foot tanks like tominis and kole tangs

You're pretty lucky for getting a free purple tang! Those things go for $180 bucks!

I know and it's so tiny, but I'm hesitant now. I do like the kole tangs too.

Yeah I'm totally re thinking this.

Let me ask you, realistically, how long before they usually have a growth spurt? I know they grow quick, but how quick is quick? LOL

Yeah I'm totally re thinking this.

Let me ask you, realistically, how long before they usually have a growth spurt? I know they grow quick, but how quick is quick? LOL

It depends on what he's fed, and how large the tank is. I've heard of people keeping tangs in small tanks then once they move them to a big tank, they grow super fast.

I don't have experience with tangs, but I've heard they can grow a few inches in 5-6 months

I'm just thinking if I could buy myself some extra time and save a little more cash for a bigger tank. He's either giving it to me or bringing back to the store.

I'm just thinking if I could buy myself some extra time and save a little more cash for a bigger tank. He's either giving it to me or bringing back to the store.

As long as you have plans to upgrade soon, it should be fine for a couple months. But no longer. Buy the new tank as soon as possible, and get the biggest tank you can afford. I'd try to find a 6 foot if possible. It will be the best in the long run.

It's not every day you get a free purple tang haha

Give him to me! Lol. I was going to get a purple for my tank but I got the chevron instead because the purple gets bigger. My friend manages a store so I always get things cheap. Got the chevron for $100 (he's like 4 inches) and he was going to do the purple for $100 as well, same size. You should just upgrade to the 180 I told you about on Craigslist! It's only $700 for everything!!!

That's the only reason why I am even considering it. I am going to look first for a bigger tank to get a rough estimate. He just sent me a picture of the tang next to a silver dollar and it's slightly smaller.

Give him to me! Lol. I was going to get a purple for my tank but I got the chevron instead because the purple gets bigger. My friend manages a store so I always get things cheap. Got the chevron for $100 (he's like 4 inches) and he was going to do the purple for $100 as well, same size. You should just upgrade to the 180 I told you about on Craigslist! It's only $700 for everything!!!

I'm more worried about the weight of a 180 because I'm on a second floor.

That's the only reason why I am even considering it. I am going to look first for a bigger tank to get a rough estimate. He just sent me a picture of the tang next to a silver dollar and it's slightly smaller.

i think he'll be fine in your tank for a couple months. Even the "tang police" would keep a small purple tang in a 40g temporarily if they could have if for free haha

I didn't realize it was so small! He's just a little guy :) in that case, there's no problems with him in the 40

i think he'll be fine in your tank for a couple months. Even the "tang police" would keep a small purple tang in a 40g temporarily if they could have if for free haha

I didn't realize it was so small! He's just a little guy :) in that case, there's no problems with him in the 40

Lol yes a temp home for a free purple, worth taking the chance for sure.

Back
Top Bottom