Tangs and angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOD

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am so done with angels and tangs every one i have had has died..... Does any body do good because i am done .....please some one positive words please

I am so done with angels and tangs every one i have had has died..... Does any body do good because i am done .....please some one positive words please

I personally don't have any (yet) but I've always heard they are fairly hardy and fairly easy to keep. How long has your tank been running? What size is your tank? What are thier tank mates? What's your parameters? How often are your water changes? Lots of questions I know but all needed to find out why your losing fish. Sorry for your losses.

I got a regal tang a nasso tang and a yellow tang no troubles here I'm no expert either been going a year

My Atlantic blue tang and bristletooth tang are both around 4 yrs old. My Lamark angel is also about 4 yrs old.
What size tank do you have and how long has it been running?

Until the recent hurricane I had a yellow tang that was thirteen yrs old, A yellow eyed Kole tang that was 10 yrs old and a scopas tang that was 8 yrs old. One thing to remember about tangs are that they are herbivores and need plenty of vegetable matter like dried seaweed and other greens.

Until the recent hurricane I had a yellow tang that was thirteen yrs old, A yellow eyed Kole tang that was 10 yrs old and a scopas tang that was 8 yrs old. One thing to remember about tangs are that they are herbivores and need plenty of vegetable matter like dried seaweed and other greens.

What else would you reccomend besides seaweed?

I always fed a variety to my tangs. Vitamin fortified brine, mysis shrimp, flake and dried seaweed. My flake is spirulina flake and Reef nutrition formula 2, both which are vegetable based flake food. I usually dont like to recommend but I do feed mine broccoli. They like eating the buds off the heads. I just feed small pieces on a clip. I know alot of folks frown on it because it`s not found in the natural habitat of the tang but I`ve had no problem for over thirteen years so far. Just a suggestion.

I never had much luck with angels either actually, but I kept a yellow tang very successfully for quite some time, until I recognized that my tank was too small for him and got him to a friend's much larger tank.

Far as I know that fish is still doing fine some 6 or 7 years later...

ccCapt said:
My Lamark angel is also about 4 yrs old.
Have any pictures? I have one too but only been 2 months. How big do they get?

tangs also like calerpa, whats nice is that you can have calerpa in your fuge and once it ourgrows it you can prune it and put some in the main display for the tangs to eat

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol i hope op doesnt feel bad, everyone here having sucess with these fish and all...

Have any pictures? I have one too but only been 2 months. How big do they get?
The Lamarck grows to about 9". I would guess mine is a little over 6". It was about 3" when I got it.
lamarck_12-2-11.jpg

FTS with a few of the other fish in the tank.
fts_12-2-11.jpg

ccCapt said:
The Lamarck grows to about 9". I would guess mine is a little over 6". It was about 3" when I got it.

[moderator edit]that is one crazzy nice tank...

ccCapt said:

Have a zoomed out picture so I can see scale? Thanks :)

My tank is 180 gallon I do water changes every 2 weeks. My tank has been set up for about 4 years now. I have 5 clowns a cleaner wrasse, mystery wrasse neon dotty back, a red lip blenny,two yellow head gobies a pistal shrimp and cleaner shrimp... I feed my fish two times a day in the morning flake food and at night frozen ( Ron's fish food). Have been trying to stock it up but every time I buy a angel or tang it would last for about 2 to 4 weeks and then the die..... Arrrg

LOD said:
My tank is 180 gallon I do water changes every 2 weeks. My tank has been set up for about 4 years now. I have 5 clowns a cleaner wrasse, mystery wrasse neon dotty back, a red lip blenny,two yellow head gobies a pistal shrimp and cleaner shrimp... I feed my fish two times a day in the morning flake food and at night frozen ( Ron's fish food). Have been trying to stock it up but every time I buy a angel or tang it would last for about 2 to 4 weeks and then the die..... Arrrg

How many did u buy and when? Some specifics would help everyone help u. :)

Wow. It looks like a 180 or 220 in the pictures. I bet you get a ton of compliments as my expression was just :eek:

well a 180 has similar dimensions from the front, they are both 72" long but the heights have 2 inches difference, you can't really tell from pics, the main difference is a 180 is 6" wider from front to back.

you'd be able to tell a 220 from either. they are 6 inches taller then a 180 and 8" taller then a 125

Back
Top Bottom