Tank Frustration - Blenny Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm sad to report I found our Lawnmower Blenny dead when I returned from work today. :( Only had him a week. I seriously think the Six-Line Wrasse killed him, because I saw him attacking him earlier this week... and the blenny wasn't defending himself. But then I didn't notice this behavious anymore and thought things were fine. Come home today and the Wrasse is ripping at the Blenny's body...and looked like it died many hours before I got home.

Is this a normal part of aquarium keeping? If so, I might be in the wrong hobby cause can't stand to see things die. I assumed these fish were all compatible from what I read and that they would live a long time and die of natural causes, not killing each other. I really liked the blenny too, he was like a little puppy dog of a fish. :(

What I have left in the tank right now are:
Percula Clown (months)
Six Line Wrasse - On my bad list (couple weeks)
Coral Beauty (couple weeks)
Blue Spotted Watchman Goby (couple weeks)
Pistol Shrimp (couple weeks)
Peppermint Shrimp (months)
Emerald Crabs, other crabs and snails (months).

What are your water parameters and how did you acclimate the fish? I had a cardinal die because the bucket I acclimated him in must of been contaminated. Ive heard that fish may die because of the way they were acclimated was rushed, not really an expert though, just a quick response.

Hi Squado, thanks for the response.

I drip acclimated the fish over a 2 hour period. Before drip acclimating I floated the bags in the tank to get the water termperature equal. I followed the drip acclimation process listed on many sites, approx. doubling the water volume in the bucket over the 2 hour period... at about 6-7 drops / second.

It may be because I added the wrasse, blenny, and goby at the same time? Been reading since I found him dead and it says that the Wrasse should be added last as it can be aggressive. And maybe since the Blenny is really passive it killed it? I have no idea though. :/ I'd love to have a Blenny in the tank to eat the algae, but afraid to ever add another if the Wrasse is going to attack it.

From my experience, and what i've read about other hobbyist's experiences, 6 line wrasses can be quite pugnacious, whether or not you get a nice one is 50/50

Unfortunately, deaths occur in the hobby. Sometimes you have done everything right...and you still lose an animal.

Do you think the Wrasse will attack any new Blenny that I put in the tank? Or are there chances that he just picked on that one cause it was weak or something? I'd really like to have a Blenny to munch on the algae, and I really like their behaviour and looks.

THanks!

Back
Top Bottom