Tank Stocking, 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmulgrew97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently 4-5 weeks into setting up my 30 gal saltwater tank and was wondering what amount of inverts and/or fish could fit and live comfortably within it! Would also like to know some neat suggestios of fish to look out for that would fit nicely with my peculiaris clown, hippo tang, and cleaner shrimp already in the tank, compatability and such. Taking in all suggestions. Thanks

Jmulgrew97 said:
I am currently 4-5 weeks into setting up my 30 gal saltwater tank and was wondering what amount of inverts and/or fish could fit and live comfortably within it! Would also like to know some neat suggestios of fish to look out for that would fit nicely with my peculiaris clown, hippo tang, and cleaner shrimp already in the tank, compatability and such. Taking in all suggestions. Thanks

Did I read thus wrong or did you say you have a blue hippo tang in a 30 gal?

I'm at the same point you are. Emerald crab, margarita snail, nassarius snail, and horseshoe crabs are all good and don't get huge. They will take care of a lot. The best thing to get would be a cleaner shrimp. They are cool. They clean the fish. They will even clean the teeth. and parts of the tank. So it's cool to watchband it's healthy. For fish a six line wrasse is really cool. They are pretty small too and they look really cool.

77mfan20 said:
I'm at the same point you are. Emerald crab, margarita snail, nassarius snail, and horseshoe crabs are all good and don't get huge. They will take care of a lot. The best thing to get would be a cleaner shrimp. They are cool. They clean the fish. They will even clean the teeth. and parts of the tank. So it's cool to watchband it's healthy. For fish a six line wrasse is really cool. They are pretty small too and they look really cool.

Sorry just realized u already have a cleaner

Great advice so far and +1 on the horseshoe crab they get very big. As for the tang I already told you about that ;) .

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, So as i come to see it i should take out my hippo tang even if hes appx 1/2 of an inch at the moment, if so, what would be cool/wise to add in that would be compatible with my other fish? and would be just as cool, interactive as the tang? Thank you for advice BTW.

Btw im sure some of you have to be familiar with the return policy of most Petco stores, as far as returning the Tang goes, will i recieive my money back for him (he was quite expensive) or will they just allow a trade of fish, or will i recieive nothing at all? Thanks.

No way.. Well that's a bummer, might just have to get a larger tank then, what is comfortable for a baby tang?

Jmulgrew97 said:
No way.. Well that's a bummer, might just have to get a larger tank then, what is comfortable for a baby tang?

It will outgrow anything besides a 6 foot tank.

You could try to take it to a local mom and pop store....sometimes they will let you do trades for store credit....I have had to do that before....

Good idea, I will try doing that, thanks another quick for anyone willing to answer, as far as my clownfish goes, I would like to host it to a small leather anenome, would this be fine to do in my current tank?

Jmulgrew97 said:
Good idea, I will try doing that, thanks another quick for anyone willing to answer, as far as my clownfish goes, I would like to host it to a small leather anenome, would this be fine to do in my current tank?

I dunno much about those Nems in particular, but most of them require strong lighting and an established tank at least 6 months old.

If space is an issue and not $$$ you could get a 250gl tank that's 5' long and I forget but 24 or 30 deep. I read a scientific journal that stated a 150gl tank is the minimum for a full grown hippo tang based on stress hormones compared to that of one in the wild.

I would wait till your tank is a year old before adding a nem. You dont want parameters moving much as they are very sensitive and can die easily. The hardest thing in this hobby for me to learn and is one of the most important details is patients! I saw a quote that said the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is crashes! Its true ever since i learned patients i have gone from a cesspool to adding SPS a few weeks ago. Just be patient, slow and do lots of research before buying anything

Back
Top Bottom