tank transfer 29g - 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i am getting closer to transfering to my new 75g. right now i have 70lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand. this is including my display, sump and HOB refugium. the sump holds about 7 gallons of water. the 29g has 2 fish, 3 shrimp, a ton of cora, snails, starfish, hermits and other hitchhikers.

here is the question. will that amount of rock and sand be enough to not go through a cycle when i transfer?

i am going to fill the 75g with all new water and some new sand a couple of days before. i want to make sure all the plumbing is good and there are no temps issues. the day of the transfer i was going to pump out about 30g and save it. add the existing tank water from the 29g and sump. i could then add any of the 30g that i pumped out if need to add a little more back. the 30g would also be used for a couple of water changes as well.

does this sound like a decent plan?

sorry for the long post

steve r

I did something like this 55gal-125gal, the answer is yes, you will have to cycle. As for the fish, I was able to keep mine at the lfs for a few weeks. If you have corals that may prove a little bit harder. I can't help on the plumbing, I'm not very good at that.

Seafan, I'm doing a 55-120 transfer as well. If I transfer directly and add another 20 gals of water to start, why would it cycle? It's the same tank with 20% water added.

Back
Top Bottom