test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am really starting to question the reliability of test kits. I have been using a Seachem Marine basic and was pretty happy with it. I kept getting high nitrate readings, 10-15. I have never have high nitrates before so I was freaking out. More LR, LR rubble in the sump, Bio-spira, water changes, etc... So today I pulled out my Red Sea test kit that I replace with teh Seachem because I did not like it (only used it a couple of times) and it said my Nitrates were less then 2.5. that seems to be a pretty big difference between the two kits. Off to the LFS I go and they tested it it (using a dip-stick test) and nitrates were 2. Whats the deal? I want to error on the side of caution, but am tired of spending time and money on a problem that may not even exsist. Time for a new kit maybe? Sorry this is so long, just had to vent...Lando

one reads nitrate nitrogen and the other nitrate ion. If it reads nitrate ion it will be 4.4 times the amount of the nitrate nitrogen. 10 divided by 2.2 i= 2.3

So, do this mean my nitrates are at an accectible level? Is there going to be a test over this? :lol: Thanks! Lando

Back
Top Bottom