Need help with cycling process!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msjettacastro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there i have two 10g tanks that i am trying to get to cycle for the addition of fish however i have been using seachem prime as well as seachem stability and testing the water every day and today ammonia read at 0.50ppm and nitrate was at 20ppm and nitrite is at 0.25ppm ? not sure if im doing this right? Or how to go from here if i need to do a water change or not… any suggestions?

To cycle a tank you need to grow denitrifying bacteria to consume ammonia and nitrite that your tank produces. The bacteria needs an ammonia source to grow colonies sufficient in size to consume all the ammonia and resultant nitrite and turn it into nitrate which typically you remove through your regular water changes.

A fishless cycle uses an ammonia source to replicate the fish waste that a tank of fish would produce. This ammonia source can be pure ammonia, an aquarium specific ammonium chloride product like Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride, a cocktail shrimp or fish food.

Ill assume we are using an ammonium chloride product.

Set up your tank. Make sure everything is running smoothly. Make sure you have used a water conditioner product with any tap water you have put in your tank. If you have an adjustable heater raise the temperature to 28c/82.5f.

You should have a test kit. Preferably a liquid test kit. It should test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Dose the ammonia chloride to approx 4ppm and start testing daily for ammonia. Once your ammonia drops below 1ppm redose it back to 2ppm. This may take a couple of weeks.

Start to test daily for ammonia and nitrite. Whenever your ammonia drops below 1ppm redose it back to 2ppm. Nitrite causes false positive nitrate readings, so no point in testing for nitrate until your cycle is complete. False positive results will just confuse matters.

You should start to see nitrite and in your daily tests. Over time your nitrite should start to rise and the amount of ammonia should start to drop further. Your ammonia may start to not be detectable in your daily tests. Keep redosing ammonia daily if you see it below 1ppm. Your nitrite may rise off the testing chart. I prefer to keep nitrite within measurable levels so it shouldn’t hurt to do a water change to keep readings on the chart. Remember to add water conditioner whenever you put tap water in the tank.

Over time your nitrite should level off and begin to fall in a similar manner to what your ammonia tests did. When you are able to dose ammonia to 2ppm and 24 hours later see 0 ammonia and nitrite you are cycled. At this point you have enough denitrifying bacteria to consume all the ammonia and nitrite of a moderately stocked tank. You may want to continue dosing ammonia for a few days to make sure it continues to consume all the ammonia and nitrite and be sure your cycle has properly established before proceeding.

Your nitrate will likely be very high, so now test for nitrate. Do a big water change to get this down. Preferably below 10ppm. Adjust your temperature to the needs of your fish. Get your fish, acclimate and add to your tank. I would advise stocking lightly to start with and slowly adding fish until fully stocked.

A fishless cycle typically takes 6 to 8 weeks.

A good way to speed up this process would be to put a small amount of filter media from an established filter into your filter, or get a sponge from an established filter and squeeze it into your tank water. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some? This will seed your filter with the bacteria you are trying to grow and speed up the process.

Another option is bottled bacteria like Dr Tims One + Only or Tetra Safestart. These products wont instantly cycle a tank as they claim but in a similar manner to adding established filter media they can seed your filter with the bacteria you are trying to grow to establish your cycle. These products are hit and miss as to whether they work at all, but are an option if established filter media isnt obtainable and may speed up the process from several months to several weeks.

I am testing with API Freshwater Master test kit i have not dose the tanks with ammonia i used food ? 3 days ago and have been daily dosing with seachem stability actually on day 4 of daily dosing and tanks have a soonge filter and no heater as these tanks are temporary housing for juvenile axolotls as they get bigger ill house each one in their own 20g long as they get bigger then into 40g but tubing them while i finish cycling my tanks (more than anything the sponge filters as i had not been running my tanks in years

Also the person i got the axolotls from was given a lot of weong info on them such as purified drinking water and a small 3g tank they gave her as well as a small sponge filter but no the tank was not cycled and one was showing signs of stress and each one was missing a limb so separated them and doing 100% water changes daily so far limbs have grown back and so far seem to be ok but trying to rush the cycling process so i can get them situated a little more quickly

Fish food is a really bad way to dose ammonia. Its very difficult to judge how much food you need to be adding to bring anmonia up to the level you need it to be at. An ammonium chloride product like dr tims ammonium chloride is just a matter of adding the correct number of drops for the size of your tank.

Most of these bacterial supplements don't do anything useful, and seachem stabilty is probably the worst on the market. Dont expect them to instantly cycle a tank.

You have been going for 4 days. It can easily take another 2 months to cycle the tank. Its not something you can rush. Doesnt work like that.

Follow the instructions and have some patience. If you really want to use fish food, add enough food to feed a tank full of fish every day. When you can do that and see no ammonia or nitrite in your testing you are cycled. This will again, probably take a couple of months. Thats a lot of fish food in the tank, that will go mouldy, clog up your filtration etc. Fish food is a really bad way to dose ammonia.

Ok thank you! I will search it up to see if i can find it nearby or order some quickly

When I was first cycling a tank I found ammonia at my local hardware store. It's very important, though, to make sure it's 100% ammonia, with no other cleansing additives.

Back
Top Bottom