Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 PM  
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Test kits

So I have a reef friendly tank. Adding more coral and reef type inverts often. I would like to know what test kit is best for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates and so on. I see a ton of posts that have exact numbers when all the kits I have give a range and you have to match a color. So am I missing something or is there a better system out there? I have a 125 gallon with a cascade, an emperor HOB with a under gravel filter for my throwback old school habits.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:17 PM  
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates you can just use API kits but for phosphate you'll want something that can test ultra low levels like a Hanna tester. Most of the normal kits just don't give good readings or can read low enough. If you're adding coral and such you'll want kits for calcium alk and magnesium as well. You can use salifert which I like or something like Red Sea works as well.

Tags
test, test kit, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com