Testing to have Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevbrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondered as gt a 18 month old 20 gal tank and wud like to get into coral, but bought a anemone bubble for my clownfish but it died within a few days. What water testing do i need to do and what lighting do i need?

Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, are the big ones. Calcium, phosphate, and magnesium are important but I would deal with the first 4 to begin with.

What type of lights are you running? What type of coral are you thinking of ? I like a 4 bulb T5 for softies shrooms and zoes and LED's for SPS or LPS

Audiew said:
Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, are the big ones. Calcium, phosphate, and magnesium are important but I would deal with the first 4 to begin with.

I do the first 4 tests once a month anyway and r always very gud i havnt gt the others.

Kevbrew said:
Sry im still quite new to it all. Sps, lps, zoes?

I would test once a week if you are getting corals. I would test that often anyway.

SPS- small poly stoney
LPS- large polyp stoney
Zoa's are a type of soft coral zoanthids

Lights are the most important thing. Soft corals require less and SPS require the most generally. Need to know you light fixture first to decide corals.

Kev what kind of filter, heater ect. Do u have I'm looking to get into saltwater and also have a aqueon 20g kit.

isiah1820 said:
Kev what kind of filter, heater ect. Do u have I'm looking to get into saltwater and also have a aqueon 20g kit.

At the moment just got an internal filter that came with the tank. Going to get a external one soon before I start getting coral, also the lights are just standard tube that came with tank.

Nems need a lot of light also that may be why your didnt make it Look into an LED upgrade then you should be good to go

Tube lights can mean several things T8, T5 or compact florescent. Depending how many tubes and what kind of lights you have will make a difference on the type of corals you can keep.

Back
Top Bottom