Texas Holy Rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have acces to some Texas holy rock, me living in texas its a mere 20 minute drive and i can pick it up off the ground. Its a white colored rock and is full of holes of different sizes and shapes. I know people put some in their Cichlid tanks but can you add these rocks to a SW aquarium?

This is what they look like. http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke/rocks.html

o O. I know of this rock. I am also interested in knowing if it is a viable option for saltwater. Soak it in bleach, dry, cure, and insert? :)

gozetec02

Howdy again !

I brought some back with me when I visited family in Lampasas. Yep - right into the tank with it. My background is Geology - the rock is limestone. It will slowly dissolve ( I do mean Slowly) and will help keep the pH of the tank elevated. The more acidic the water becomes, the more will dissolve. It looks really neat in the tank. Coraline Algae will also take on it. the fishies will swim through the holes. All in all - way cool.

Just rinse the loose dust and place in tank .

Joanne

Exelent thank you very much. I am going to hop in the car and drive to maybe Fredericksberg or New Braunfels and pick some off the local highways.

Ahh.. Fredericksberg ... Visit a few wineries , eat some good German food, and have some Fredericksberg fudge for me.

Joanne

Lampasas... *runs away screaming*.. long story. ;)

Exxxxcellent. I will definately be putting some of this stuff in my tank. What does bleach do to limestone? I know if I soak alluminum (computer heatsinks) it eventually starts to eat away at it, creating a noxious gas 8O.

Is this stuff compressed limestone? I say this because regular limestone blocks when dropped in water look like alkseltzer.... I'm curious if I could coat/soak it in some sort of protectant that is non-toxic to help keep it from corroding...

You shouldn't need to do anything to it. It is actually very hard and is usually very light in color. The nodules that form the holey rock are harder and more acid resistant than the surrounding softer limestone.

I'll bite ---- why run away screaming ? ( I actually grew up on a cattle ranch in Kempner---- AKA the boondocks - went to school in Copperas Cove _ AKA "The armpit of Central Texas." Used to be a good 3 hour drive to Austin - only shopping was downtown on Congress street. Now it's only an hour drive to the "burbs".

The hills ( what we called "Mountains" LOL) are covered with these holey nodules.

Saving a long story, that's where the ex-g/f is from...

..speaking of Congress, I live on S. Congress. 8O

Back
Top Bottom