Think I need more snails ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got build up of yellowish brown algae along the top of my SB and on the sides where I can't get my scubber in due to the LR..... think maybe I should get more snails????? I've got twenty or thirty in there right now.... and a Lawnmower blenny...... some emeralds etc.... so do ya think I need more snails???

Is there any type of snail that doesn't leave the swirls???? I'd like a couple of ideas on different kinds.... I think I have some turbos and asteas right now.... along with one or two "conch" looking elephant snout suckas..........

Look into Nassarius snails. They spend most of their time in the top .5 inch of substrate and eat what is there while turning it over to keep it healthy. They will not dig down into substrate to disrupt a DSB if you have one, just enough to cover themselves. They will not clean your glass however.

I have a few nassarius snails. they are cool. i will be getting more. I don't care for Asterias because they seem to commit suicide alot. ( they fall off of the glass and onto their backs and then its impossible for them to turn over.)

Nassarius are great. I have been adding about 10 of them a week, trying to boost my population of them as well.
I would add some more comfort, sure can't hurt.
I've also noticed my blue legged hermits working on the sand, may want to consider a couple of them too.

I would say 1-2 per square foot would do. Don't forget about cerith snails. They move sand nicely too.

I'd like to get some blue hermit crabs too, but i heard they eat corals. Is this true?

They will sometimes munch on snails, but it is not common for them to eat corals.

I have about 25 of the Blue Hermits in my tank and they are really no trouble, in fact they clean quite nicely. They will take out a snail now and then, but you can combat that by having extra shells laying around the tank for them to move into as they grow.
I have one that has grown to almost 2" across, he is quite beautiful. You can see him in my gallery.
IMO they are quite entertaining and worth having in a system.

I would start with about 10, you can always add more. There are others that may suggest more, but I believe in taking things slow.

I started with about a dozen. after some died off I now have about 6. which seems to be about right considering the general size of my enitre clean up crew. It really depends on how much LR you have though.

Well I just went and bought ten more astrea.... my problem is mostly with the glass.... so I'm hoping they'll help.... might get some more in a week or two... we'll see how things go......

All my hermits (that I could find anyway) have been relegated to the fuge. Even with plenty of extra shells laying around they go after snails. They are quite opportunistic about their homes and sometimes just want a new home and grab one. I'm one of those that believe things with claws (other than peaceful shrimp) should not be in the aquarium.

Alright grimlock.... picked up 10 more astrea and ten Nassarius... fast little suckers.....

Back
Top Bottom