Stocking Advice - 110L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, first post. I've been looking on reddit and here for some answers and thought actually it might be best to ask instead. :)

Just got a new community tank, I've had tanks before but only really kept bettas or shrimp but wanted something a bit more mixed this time now I've got the space with a recent move.

It's all fully cycled, it's the aquaone 110 (max volume of 123L but I assume its marketing it as a 110L once substrate is in etc)

Dimensions: 63W x 38D x 55H cm

So far I've got:
4 x Julii Corys
3 x Assassin Snails
4 x Purple Emperor Tetras
4 x Emperor Tetras
4 x Amano shrimp (Pregnant female but I'm assuming not much will come from that, she was accidentally bought pregnant)

My first question is whether I need to get more of either tetra - I only just got the Emperors today and didn't realise until I was home that they're different to the purple emperors. Will they school together? Or should I have 6 of each instead of 4? I'm hoping to see them as a school of 8 generally but if I have to get more for them to thrive then I will.

My other question is that I've been using aqadvisor and I've seen some differing thoughts on it's stocking and how accurate it is. I was hoping to get:

6-8 male Guppies
3-4 Pepper Corys (or more Julii, I just like the idea of differences but if it wouldn't work then let me know)
Cherry Shrimp

Would this be ok? Could I still get a few more fish or would that push it into overstock like aqadvisor seems to think?

The shop today seemed to suggest that Male Guppies only was the way to go (I don't want to run the risk of fry) but some places have said that only males may cause issues? I just really wanted to get some opinions. Better safe than sorry and all that.

Anyway, that's the gist of it. I know that I should probably stick to one or two but I really like the idea of a community of lots of different fish. I hoped Corys, Tetras and Guppys weren't too much to handle in the scheme of things. I just hadn't meant to get two types of tetra along the way.

Hey, welcome. The Corrie's generally always interact with eachother no matter what specific Cory they are, so if you want a different one, that should be fine.

I love the look of the purple emporers and considered them myself, but ive read they thrive in soft water with lots of tannins, so left them.

I believe purples are calm and standard emporers are boisterous, whether they interact much together I'm not sure. Usually tetras interact with other tetras creating one big family, but specifically to them I'm not sure. Limiting males and having predominantly females will help with that though. Do you know the male/female ratio you have?

As if you are getting more, get females.

Aq advisor is a very useful tool, although it can be on the cautious side, it's worth taking it seriously.

If it says you're overstocked with what you want to add. I would suggest rethinking.

Making the hard choices before it's too late or being a little cautious now will help you so much in the future.

Thank you for the answer!

That's great to hear on the corys, just fun to have some differences.

Oh interesting, I hadn't seen that when I had a look for them - that they were boisterous but they are a bit bigger. The purple ones were being a bit more rowdy to begin with but that might be because I only had 4 (the shop only had that many at the time) hence me thinking it best to get some more friends for them and then not noticing til I was home that something was different.
I know with the emperors I have 1 male and 3 females, the purples I think it's the same? Only one of them is really purple and has the rounded fin but I found it a bit harder to tell with them.

This is what I have at the mo:
AquStockImage.php

And this is with my additions:
AquStockImage.php

So yeah its at 100% according to aqadvisor which is why I wanted to get some opinions before I went any further! You're right that it's better to be cautious now. It's also why I wanted to check on guppy males as the shop seemed to suggest it didn't matter how many I had but the internet suggested at least 6 for male only to make sure they don't bully anyone.

I would stick to 1 type of cory. They might hang out together if you mix them l, but they might not. Id prefer to see a bigger group of 1 species of more cory than mixing them.

I also think your tetras would be happier in a group of 8 of the same species rather than 2 groups of 4 of different species. Personally you could up the stocking to 8 of each and keep both, along with your addition to your guppies and bigger group of corys. Just make sure you keep up with regular water changes.

Oh really? I really liked the thought of having a few different ones, same as having a mix of amano and cherrys.
Will they be happy in groups of 4? In case I didn't get any more as well.

Wow that seems like a lot for the tank according to aqadvisor. Would 6 of each type be ok? I really don't want to overstock and hurt them that way.

I would be doing weekly water changes, it's what I always did before with a smaller tank and I quite like keeping it up as a habit that way (though changing out about 25% instead of the 50% with the betta tank)

Cories are better in larger shoals. Looks wise, I agree one large group of one type is better, but that is personal preference more than anything else. I watched a guys tank once that had 10-12 cories of 5 or 6 types. All swam about together loving life. Although, breeding was never going to happen and didn't have the same effect as a big group of one type might have. (Eyes couldn't settle)

If your preference is to have a variety of 4x4 then that's fine.

You probably need to add a couple anyway. Rule of thumb with any fish kept in groups is 6-8 as a minimum

I would say yes you need more of each tetra. But the tank isn't long enough for more fish. If the tank was 3 foot long x 18 inches high, not a problem, add more, but it's only 2 foot long and that's a small area for all the fish you have.

Back
Top Bottom