Those of you with web sites...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Those of you who may have web sites where you created your own site name (ex: www. joesaquarium.com) how did you do it. I know you can purchase your own domain name for a fee with some places. Is that what you did? If so what site did your do this through & how often do you pay your fee for your site, monthly/or yearly? Do you design your site yourself?

I would like to do this in the future for my aquarium site, that's why I ask.

If you want a domain like www.swishyfishies.com then you would need to first visit a domain name registrar.

www.godaddy.com is the cheapest I know of at under $10.00
I use www.sausagedomains.com for this site and the other petadvice network sites. The cost with them is $14 I think.

Those costs are per year. So you can see it not that expensive to have a domain name.

Once you purchase a domain name then you have to host it some place. There are many hosting companies out there. There are plans that range from $10 a month on up depending on how much space you need and what other services you need.

This site is hosted by www.sausagehosting.com Their basic plan is $9.90 a month or $99 if paid up front for the year.

One thing that Sausage does is provide bundles. For example you can get the basic hosting package plus 1 domain name plus the current release of Hot Dog (Sausage's HTML editor) plus a t-shirt and ball cap for $148.95 year. Thats a good deal sine their basic HTML editor is $39.95 and their Pro editor is $99.95

Once you have your host you will then create your website and upload your files to your server. Once you do this then you have yourself a website. There are tons of freep places to have a website but usually they are laden heavly with banner ads or popups. If you buy yourself a domain and get a hosting package your site will be totally free of those things unless you add them yourself.

wow you guys, thank for the input.

Hey d9hp, where in North Cackalacki do you live? I was stationed in Fayetteville ( Pope AFB) for 3 yrs. 98-2000 I bet it's getting nice there now.

I live Greensboro by golly North Cackerlackier. Fayetteveille is a nice place, but everything is getting big. Stationed, sounds like you served in the Army, or Marines or something.

I was in the Air Force, I was a cop. Ok I know where Greensboro is if I remember correctly. Doesn't I-40 go through Greensboro, or is it Greenville. I had to drive through there when I'd go home. I'm originally from east Tennessee. About half an hr accross the state line from Asheville. I'd give anything to get to go to Myrtle Beach for once again. Montana sucks!

Back
Top Bottom