thoughts on a QT tank ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so my tank had ich so i went fishless for 8 weeks and now when i get fish i want to make sure i dont have to do that all over again soooooo....

i was thinking about a 10 gal from pestmart but dont know what type of cheap filter i should get >>> and do i need a light ???

any ideas ??

If you don't intend on quarantining coral, you can go with a simple light.
The advantage of quarantining fish is obvious...but the QT system has to be up to the same water standards as the fish tank is.
The fish/coral is already stressed big time by the time it hits your doorstep. The QT system should not add to that stress, it needs to be a "healing environment" in a best case. So don't scrimp on the filter, there are many choices, but I would use something that will guarantee very low organic loads.

how would a aquaclear 30 do for an hob filter ......and what should i put in the hob like chempure or purgen ???

also how do i get bacteria in it withought a mini cycle or can that even happen with a bare tank ??

I am wrestling with this myself. In 30 years I never QT anything. Had some problems on and off, but was frankly too lazy to keep up two separate systems.

You don't need to keep up two tanks..tear down the QT when your not QTing...When you know your getting a fish set it back up a few days beforehand ,,plan it around a water change and use that tank water,,and simply put the media from your QT HOB filter in your sump or filter and let it get ready..

Any HOB will do..get a cheap Top Fin or something,and a heater..I don't use a light on mine...

I have been running a 55 Gallon Fresh planted and a 100 Gallon Reef and have never setup a QT for over 8 years and only had one issue. And that issue was due to me trying a new LFS, never went back to that one. I think it is more about the quality of your LFS and how they buy and maintain thier stock. If you have a great LFS then I don't think you need to run a QT at all. One of my friends does and he has lost more fish in QT then I have in my 8 years. As for what filter i would get something that keeps the bio down and also that is at least two X the rating for the tank just to be sure.

I run a QT, but only for fish that I get online. When I buy fish at my LFS, i do not QT them, since the LFS already does a 2 week QT on them before they go onsale.

Back
Top Bottom