Thoughts on ph testers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree it looks like a nice unit, but whether its needed or not... I'd think no. IMO, unless you are dosing your tank to raise the pH, or need to directly measure it, I can't see spending the money on one. I'm also kinda broke and always trying to look for ways to save. :)

Just my opinion, of course.

Devilishturtles said:
I agree it looks like a nice unit, but whether its needed or not... I'd think no. IMO, unless you are dosing your tank to raise the pH, or need to directly measure it, I can't see spending the money on one. I'm also kinda broke and always trying to look for ways to save. :)

Just my opinion, of course.

Hey, hey.....I have children so I most certainly understand the money issue.....I have it....they want it (all of it) :lol:

I was thinking that I could use it both on my sw & fw tanks. I did go ahead and order it so I'll let you know how it works. I was just hoping that someone had used one before etc.

Thanks!!

I've been eyeing them since I started using kalkwasser (very high PH). People who use calcium reactors and/or kalkwasser reactors/additions find them very useful (or CO2 on FW planted tanks). That is the least expensive one I've seen. Please let us know what you think when you get it. Good luck!

I recently picked up a Hanna Instruments pH Checker for my FW tanks. At first I was not too thrilled with it, the reading would constantly drift. Finally tried putting a sample of water in a glass, swirling the tester a bit and started getting stable readings. Oh, and resetting the calibration slope helped, too.

Now I can check the pH of nine tanks faster and much more accurately than by using reagents. Good luck with yours!!!!!

I haven't used mine in a while. I forgot to get the calibration liquid, so I don't think I got correct readings. But it is easy to use and read.

I hate using test kits for things, especially PH. I like to know at a glance what my PH is. My problem with those hand held PH testers is that they need to be kept in solution/tank water or they dry out and then can't be used anymore.

I've had 2 of those style units and fried them both.

I use an Aquacontroller to monitor my PH now. I do use it primarily to control my CO2 input to my Ca reactor, but pull it from the effluent from time to time to get a read on the tank PH.

Being able to monitor PH with a controller gives you the ability to react to the swings with a productive counter so that you can level them off.

Something I know a little bit about.. woot

Im a QA Lab tech and I have a PH / Temp prob device. The temp prob is seperate from the PH probe but both are hooked up to the same digital read out.

Callibaration should be done on a regular basis to ensure correct readings.
The prob I have at work allows me to do a 3 step callibration. PH4, 7, and 10. PH buffers are required in order to do this. I callibrate my unit every day. Slope on this particular unit should be between 92 and 102.
Now on them poratble hand held units calibration slope and steps may differ. Some may only offer a 1 step callibration. That being a PH7.
Once its callibrated readings are pretty accurate.

Again units may varry. My unit at work requires the electrobe to remain wet. I keep it soaking in a a PH7 buffer at all times. It also requires a Reference Electrode filling solution. ( Ag/ AgCl). Your small hand held readers more then likely will not require this but none the less should be callibrated on a regualar basis. If your readings are all over its time to callibrate it. Remeber this is a lab unit so its rather expensive vs your hand held ones but the operation is the same.

Deffiently read the directions and follow them. Also may want to look into how offten you have to replace and how much them electrobes are.

I keep hopeing that the supply company i get my PH buffers and other lab goodies from will give away one of them hand held ones so I can have it for home hehe. Hopefully they will do another Calibrated digital thermometer as well.

Deff keep us posted on how well that unit works. Also let us know what kinda callibration it does and whats required to callibrate it.

madhatter208 said:
Deff keep us posted on how well that unit works. Also let us know what kinda callibration it does and whats required to callibrate it.

Great info! I actually got this in the mail today (along with many other goodies!). I'm currently soaking it in some r/o water (it has to soak for 2 hours and then I do the calibration).

I'll follow up with how all goes after that.

Again, thanks much for the info.

Back
Top Bottom