Tips on Breaking tank down to REBUILD it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im taking my tank down to rebuild it with in the next week. I got a diamond hole saw for a 1 1/2inch bulk head, mag 9.5 pump, all plumbing, build a new 20g long fuge and i plan on replacing the substraight too.

I have all the needed parts, but im wondering what my best plan of action should be. My thought process was

#1 drain tank and transer corals/fish into holding tank (recycle bin)
#2 take out the rock and substraight
#3 drill tank
#4 Attach bulkhead and do all the plumbing
#5 set up the refuge with drain and return tubes
#5 place new sand/substraight in DT
#6 do the aquascape
#7 transer fish back into tank

since im transfering all my water along with the fish and coral into a 40g bin, could i just place them into the tank once im done with all my stetp?? any suggestions?

Please share with me your experience if you have done something similar :popcorn:

I transferred all my rock and corals with fish into two kiddie pools and put in power heads for circulation. I then did all my plumbing and let it sit over nite. Next I put I. Sand and live rock and let run for a day. Next day I put I. Fish and corals

did you replace all the water or did you use the existing water?? it was 3 day process?? I was hoping to finish it in one day but i guess better be safe than sorry and spread the rebuild out

I tested my plumbing for leaks. I used about have my water went ftom a 70 to a 110

TRDfan said:
Im taking my tank down to rebuild it with in the next week. I got a diamond hole saw for a 1 1/2inch bulk head, mag 9.5 pump, all plumbing, build a new 20g long fuge and i plan on replacing the substraight too.

I have all the needed parts, but im wondering what my best plan of action should be. My thought process was

#1 drain tank and transer corals/fish into holding tank (recycle bin)
#2 take out the rock and substraight
#3 drill tank
#4 Attach bulkhead and do all the plumbing
#5 set up the refuge with drain and return tubes
#5 place new sand/substraight in DT
#6 do the aquascape
#7 transer fish back into tank

since im transfering all my water along with the fish and coral into a 40g bin, could i just place them into the tank once im done with all my stetp?? any suggestions?

Please share with me your experience if you have done something similar :popcorn:

I'd switch step 5 and 6. Add rock to bare glass bottom first. Then sand around the rock. You will have less issues with settling rock work or potential collapse due to burrowing organisms if the rock is on the glass.

TRDfan said:
did you replace all the water or did you use the existing water?? it was 3 day process?? I was hoping to finish it in one day but i guess better be safe than sorry and spread the rebuild out

I bought a whole setup 125 gal from a guy on Craigslist. Moved the whole setup including 80 gal of water, and probably 150-200 lbs of rock, 5 fish, plenty of corals, Zoas, etc. and had it all set up and running in one day. Super long day. Started at 8am and worked until 2am.

Oh and I used about 75 gals of old water and 50 gals of fresh mix. I then did a 30 pwc about 3 days later.

I didn't have any plumbing work to do like you do so that will cost you time but a big chunk of my time was spent lifting moving and then driving all my crap across Chicago. I think you could probably get this all done in a day, but you need a well thought out plan before you start, and an extra set of hands would be really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom