To feed or not to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard two different perspectives when it comes to feeding Euphyllia. This makes me wonder if I should feed or should not feed my hammer coral. What's your opinion?

All I know is that you can feed LPS, but you don't have to. Feeding increases the growth rate, but it isn't needed. What are the cons of feeding Euphyllia?

I've just heard it is completely unnecessary, but before that I've always heard to offer them food once a week.

Well it's optional. Two times a week is what a lot of people do. I just feed whenever is convenient, but not that often. The only downside is the excess nutrients if you overfed.

I've heard two different perspectives when it comes to feeding Euphyllia. This makes me wonder if I should feed or should not feed my hammer coral. What's your opinion?

Feeding coral will simply add to your bioload which will mean more nitrates and phosphates.Do you need to feed? No. Only thing feeding will do is help speed up growth but feeding can only help so much. Coral growth mostly depends on light and available elements to build skeleton and tissue.

Use a good frozen food like Rod's food and you don't need to feed your corals. I had an 8 head hammer that is now 2 years old and has produced 80+ heads. I take 6 or 8 heads to the LFS when i want a new coral. On the flip side it is sort of cool to watch an acan engulf a piece of shrimp about the same size as the head.

Back
Top Bottom