Toadstool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm84

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my toadstool just under a week, it looked great when I got it but doesn't look happy in my tank. It's polyps were out on the first day but it's been closed and scrunched up ever since. All params are fine so I'm lost as to what it could be.

My sarcophyton does the same thing. It could be molting too. Toadstools are weird sometimes. Any pics?

Yeah I read so many contradicting stories on them. Some say it's normal, others say its a problem, high flow, low flow. I've read it all lol now I'm just stuck and worrying.

No pics at the moment. I will upload some in the morning, I'm currently in bed but still researching on my phone lol

"All params are fine" doesn't really mean anything to the people you are trying to get advice from. Infact, I would say 90% of the time, parameters that were thought to be in check, end up being the issue. Please post the age of your tank, nitrate, PH, temp, salinity (refractometer?), and the age of your T5 bulbs.

My apologies. Nitrates 0, SG 1.024 (hydrometer) phosphate 0, ph 8.3. Temp 78. T5s approx 2 months old all bulbs

My toadstool went into hiding for 2 1/2 months before coming back out. I increased flow and I think that was what brought him back out.

More then likely the increased flow helped take it's molt off which they do if they don't have enough flow on them because debris was on him. Increase flow and let it do it's thing. Toadstools are very hardy. I work at my LFS and we had a toadstool that wouldn't polyp and I took him and gave him a good shake and the next day he was fully polyped out. Just try different things and see what happens. They really have a weird personally.

Mine does the same thing. He has shed once or twice a week for a month. But he has just been growing. When i see him shedding I use my turkey baster and blow him off and then he polyps out the next day.

Yeah it's just a defense to the debris that catches on it so algae don't grow on them. A baster is a better idea than shaking it lol.

I've read that you're not supposed to keep messing with them and moving them because it just upsets them even more so I've resisted doing that. I've just been leaving it alone. There have been a few days it has raised itself. Like one edge was raised higher than the rest of it but no polyps out. I guess I could just try aiming a power head nearer to it and see if that helps.

Move it, Give it differant flow! You have to try differant things in order to find the sweet spot! I found it and he hasent closed once in months!!

Back
Top Bottom