Turning a sump box into a "fug"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 26 gallon bowfront and was toying with the idea of of converting an old sump box that i have lying around from an old aquarium into a small refugium for my reef tank. Im still a little unsure as to the lighting requirements and specs so i was looking for a little feedback on the subject. I have been thinking of a small deep sand bed for the fug and possibly a little bit of caleurpra but i know that it can sometimes be more trouble than its worth!!! Also if i converted the sump to a fug would i need the bio-balls in the setup or would it be overkill..... any comments on the matter are welcome, you guys always help!! :idea: If anyone has pics of a fug buildup for a smaller tank i would love to see 'em. thanks guys!

Nah man you're on the right track 100%. you can find tons of sump pics at http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html I think his 14g sump design is exactly what you're looking for!

JUst keep the refugiums lights on 24/7 and it shouldnt be a problem with macro going sexual.

And you dont need much light at all. a small PC light is all you need. macro grows easy.

I wouldnt use the bio balls even without the fuge. especially in a reef setup. they just store too much nitrates. when i first setup my tank, i used bio balls too, but couldnt keep my nitrates down to the levels i wanted. after reading they were most likely the cause, i took them out and just put in some base rock. ive never had any problems after that.

As far as lighting, I use a 150watt Grow bulb from Home Depot on my fuge. It works great and its cheap. I was worried at first if the red spectrum would cause nuisance algae growth, but I havent had any problems at all. If your going to put macro's in the fuge, keep in mind that Caulerpa releases a toxin when pruned (which is nessisary for nutrient export). Its a mild toxin, low levels..but its still a toxin. If you go to http://www.reef-aquarium.net, then to the "educational" link and scroll down, there is some information on the different types of Caulerpa and algae's.

Squishy

thanks for the help guys. what should i start with in the fug?? Ive seen the kits that come with small stars, bristles, and narcissus snails but im not sure if i should immediately put all them in or if i need to let it run for a few weeks with nothing to build up the good stuff. Im thinking im going to use a small ten gallon so that i can get a little more room than the sump tank. any help is greatly appreciated guys 8)

Back
Top Bottom