Undergravel filter for marine tank ? yes ? no ? confused !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
i'm confused whether i should use UGF for my 10gal nano tank...

the LFS recommended yes, and i read some info about UGF , which stats it's good for BB built up...

but at the same time i also read one article which says UGF is a nono to marine tank ...

However, certain filters like the UGF are generally not acceptable in marine tanks because of detritus build-up in the gravel/crushed coral bed and clogging of the filter plates. You'll just have to keep telling yourself time and time again : "Think Biological, BUT think carefully".
Quoted from http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77883

so, guys i need your personal advices + experiences to tell me whether i should or not ?

2nd Q) My tank has been cycling for almost one month and i have one ocellaris in now ... and it looks fine ! .. but i found some brown algae attached on the glass !! how shall i clear them off ? they are growing fast !!

3rd Q) my tank size is 60cm(W) x 30cm x 30cm , is it 10gal ? just wan to confirm my calculation :) .... so how many watt of light do i need ? and what kind of light do i need, if i wan to put some hardy mushrooms / corals in my nano tank ?

4th Q) How many LR do i need ? currently i have about 6kg of LR + 2-3 inch think mixture of crushed corals + fine sand ... will this have enough space for the BB to grow and maintain a stable water condition ? is it considered as a berlin method which using just only LR to denitrifying ?

Dont use one.

If you have sand in there it will just get clogged up all the time.

#2- Get a MagFloat.

#3- I think the wattage for all kinds of corals is 4x gallonage, so about 40 watts. Since yours are lowlight I bet you could get away with less though (Although you didnt mention what you wanted to have)

#4- I have no clue how a KG works into a pounds so I cant help you there...

zacdl , i should remove the UGF ? aww.. that'd be diffcult job then ... i hv to transfer the fishes, the LR and water into another pail, remove the DSB .. and remove the "sand plate" ... is that correct ? will it cause the water to be "uncycled" again with my disturbance ?

Back
Top Bottom