Upgrading to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brentweld

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to buy a full setup brand new just seeing what some good options are for about 30 to 40 gallons. I want something good but nothing super fancy seeing as how it will be my first saltwater. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Go with a biocube they are a all in one tank. They are great tanks for beginners. The lighting is good for some easy low light corals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree those are awesome starting tanks. A few months ago I set one up for my uncle and it had pretty much everything I needed to start it up for him.

I feel like a bio cube is kinda a cheap model. Just want to make sure it will last a long time and be a good setup

Any ideas for a quality protein skimmer? And what else would I need to get started

You don't need a skimmer on a biocube if you don't want one, and they make great starter tanks but the lighting is going to limit what photosynthetic creatures you can keep. If your looking to do a reef IMHO you'd be better off setting up your own tank rather than the aio route.

You don't need a skimmer on a biocube if you don't want one, and they make great starter tanks but the lighting is going to limit what photosynthetic creatures you can keep. If your looking to do a reef IMHO you'd be better off setting up your own tank rather than the aio route.

+1. I'm not a fan of Biocubes...
Over rated.

Yeah IMO a biocube is best for a FO or FOWLR tank. You will probably wan't to air on the side of caution and not get any corals until you update the lights.

Well are there any setups that don't come with a top so I can get my own lighting or is there a setup with a good lighting system. I don't want to get into saltwater and then be limited by something as simple as lighting. I'm not afraid to spend the extra money. I'm trying to take it kinda easy so I can learn as I go. But I don't want a setup I'm going to think sucks in a few months cause the lighting is not even enough to keep what I like.

I have been working with my planted for over 6 years so now it's time to move up to salt water. I don't want a fish only salt water Hahaha.

Innovative Marine have a Nuvo series they are open top but don't come with a light.

My biocube handles lps really well and my ric and zoas are doing very well too!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm a huge fan of the solana systems

I like the look of the solana system does Anyone else know anything about these? Is there a preference on which would be the best salt to use? And is there a cheap place to get live sand?

You can put any light over it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there a preference to having the filtration in the back of the tank or can I go with all glass? Does it make it easier one way or the other? It looks a lot better without it I personally think.

Back
Top Bottom