using Chemi-Clean correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this is what i did to "provide maximum results" from chemi-clean. I switched off my seaclone, my UV1, but i only removed the carbon from my canister filter so that i could still have biological and mechanical filtration. I added the stated dose and put in an airstone to "maintain the oxygen levels in the tank". I went to the Boyd website and it said that it was imperative that an airstone would be required. What does "oxidization" mean? Does it involve oxygen to remove the cyano? Who else here has used this succesfully. This is just to remove the cyano, and i have already done three daily WC to reduce the nitrates, and i have placed phosphate sponge for the required time. The water changes which have changed about 40% accumulatively have had no effect on my nitrates. My test kit is about two years old, is this a concern of accuracy?

Thank you all

Oxidization decreases/removes the amount of electrons in an element increasing the possitive side. Basically your chemically altering it. Chemi- clean works but as with all these types of issues does not deal with the underlying issues that caused it in the first place. The premiss of these type of products is to oxidize the organics within the water column itself removing whatever fuel source is keeping the cyano going.

Be sure to keep up with your water changes as well as the PO4 sponge to reduce the levels in the system oir it will just come back. You will need to get a handle on how the PO4/N is getting into the system at high enough levels to fuel this type of organism and reduce/eliminate it if you want to be permanently rid of it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom