UV sterilizer or Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I have a 75 gal SW tank set up with a FLUVAL 404 canister filter, 2 PH ,some LR,and 50lbs BR. Now , i'm trying to decide if i should get the UV sterilizer or a HOB skimmer,and what should i get? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tony

definitly the skimmer. a uv sterilizer often kills things (like little itty bitty plankton) which we want in our tanks. if you really feel the need to run a uv sterilizer, run it on your QT tank. a skimmer is an invaulable resource for removing organic compounds from your water.

i had a very similar setup for my first tank and had lots of luck with it (beginners luck i think). I had a HOB skimmer that worked great and later added a uv sterilizer. the skimmer has noticable results so I'd go with that first. Don't know if the uv had anything to do with it, but i never had ick and my water was crystal clear!!!!!! I was very lucky cause i didn't use a QT. I had a naso tang, purple tang, lionfish, perc clown and saddleback puffer along with some starfish. Very nice setup.

Jim

My recommendation would be an Aqua C Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. You could go with the regular Remora/MJ1200, but it's a little small for a 75 IMO. The Remora Pro is expensive, but it will pay for itself in performance and longevity. I would not use a UV sterilizer all the time on a reef tank because of the reasons stated in the above post. They are nice to have around for emergencies, but are not, IMO, required equipment.

Definately go with a skimmer. You can get by without a UV. Go with the AquaC remora pro with mag 3 pump. It is virtually maintanence free and does a great job skimming!

If you went with a CPR you'd need their 'double' model for anything over 55 gallons.
I think the Remora's gonna win though :)

I know a bak-pak2 is too small for a 75, which is why I said if he got a CPR, he'd need the Dual...which is basically 2 bak-pak's molded into 1 unit.

I actually just checked the price...I think the Remora will be a better priced unit, especially for the quality of skimming that people report.

(I just like to play devil's advocate and give people at least 1 option)

Definitely go with a good skimmer. If you plug it in soon after adding live rocks, it will pick up dirt right away. My question is, however, if you just added your rocks and it is a new aquarium, how much difference will it make to leave it off because you are on a 2 month trip? I am afraid it will overflow -- it was very new and regulating it's production was difficult.

The guy at my LFS says that a UV sterilizer's purpose is for killing all the parasites in the tank to keep the fish and corals healthy,and the Skimmer is use for removing wastes/yellow stuffs in the water. So i guess using both would be good?

If a UV light is used correctly it will kill any Free Floating algae and Free Floating parasites that go through the light at the recommended GPH. If you run the water through the UV too fast it won't do much. It will not kill anything that does not go through the UV. Is it needed No, does it bring piece of mind yes.
Having a Good Skimmer IMO is a must.
LFS like selling those high priced items like UV's when you really don't need them. I ran one on my reef for 1.5 years till the pump that ran it crapped out and the light baked the inside and PVC particles entered my tank crashing it. Would I get on again yes... Would I use a RIO pump on it again ..... NO.

IFN -

To go with that Fluval 404 I would suggest looking into a input attachment called a "surface skimmer" that pulls the proteins and waste that collects on the top of the water. You can pick up the item for a modest price of $10-$15.

I have one coming now after searching for a while for a way to skim the top of the water. Reviews on it seem to be pretty good.

That'll do a great deal of your "protein skimming" work right there.

The surface skimmer isn't really a protein skimming attachment though. It's more for collecting larger floating debris (like floating leaves in a freshwater planted tank).

Real protein skimmers use foam fractionation to create a charged bond with organic compounds. These compounds are both attracted to and repelled by water (like a magnet with north/south poles). The bubbles in a skimmer have a surface which is both water and not water, and thus the compounds stick to the bubbles, which then rise into the collection cup and pop, releasing the compounds in the cup for disposal.

Thus the fluval surface skimmer attachment doesn't work like a normal protein skimmer :)

Back
Top Bottom