Vodka Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been doing a bit of research on Vodka dosing in a reef tank to help lower and control nitrates. I came across the following article that does a pretty good job on a step by step approach. Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Just curious of the opinions out there and anyone's experiences. Thoughts or comments?
I've been doing it for about 9 months now without any problems. My nitrates went from over 100 to 0 in that time.Some here don't like it some do its just a matter of choice. there's pros and cons for everything.

Thanks! I've been reading a lot of pro's and cons but it looks intriguing. Are you still performing water changes? Some people actually said they do not but not sure if I would be willing to risk that.

Can you tell me a bit about your set-up and how you are dosing?

Thanks! I've been reading a lot of pro's and cons but it looks intriguing. Are you still performing water changes? Some people actually said they do not but not sure if I would be willing to risk that.

Can you tell me a bit about your set-up and how you are dosing?
Well right now I am dosing 6 milliliters a day in my 90 gal. tank. But you need to start off slowly and follow the directions

the url you posted is the one I used when I started. Follow the directions on how to figure the volume of water in your tank.

Yes, you still want to do water changes as per normal. You also need to run a skimmer and start small & build slowly.

Lol. I have a fw 55 tank. And am only a 2 months in to fish keeping. So with out to much laughter or going and reading the artical. Are you talking about vodka the alcohol? ROFLOL.

Thanks - got a good skimmer - I have a 60 gallon tank with a Reef Octopus BH1000. I also do 15-18% water changes every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Still want to see other experiences before I start but I've already printed out the dosage chart from the article to follow.

Yep - It's the vodka you drink. Read the article and do a bit of research. Kind of interesting.

I used it before switching to a biopellet reactor. It did a good job keeping nitrates below 5 despite heavy feeding. If you overdose or ramp up too quickly you can have a cyano outbreak, I've heard vinegar as a carbon source is less likely to be be bio available to cyano. Principles are the same with vinegar, just different doses I believe.

ekean45 said:
Yep - It's the vodka you drink. Read the article and do a bit of research. Kind of interesting.

Well I guess if you got thirsty and like vodka. It would be good to have. Lol.

Just to give you an update, I started doing the vodka method and it is working great so far. Nitrates were at 30ppm the day I started and 1 week later, they were down to 5 with no water change. All animals look good. In fact, the water even seems to be a clearer than it was before. Lots of nasty skimmate produced.

Just to give you an update, I started doing the vodka method and it is working great so far. Nitrates were at 30ppm the day I started and 1 week later, they were down to 5 with no water change. All animals look good. In fact, the water even seems to be a clearer than it was before. Lots of nasty skimmate produced.
glad to see its working for you.

Ok I really have to read this , cause I like both vodka and 0 nitrate levels , mine always seems to read 0 since I got a skimmer, but I do have some cheato in to help and green hair algae that seems to be growing a lil faster than I like :-/

The problem i have with any kind of carbon dosing such as vodka is that its a bandage for more underlying issues that persist even with dosing.

1) no tank should have a nitrate problem unless overstocked, over fed, or under maintained.

This is what creates the problem.

2) carbon dosing is seen as a fix. Many people ignore maintenance and water changes once they start seeing nitrates disappear

This creates a reliance on carbon dosing. Carbon dosing is a risk. If you overdose have widespread bacteria blooms then you will have an even bigger problem. Carbon fuels ALL bacteria growth not just nitrifying bacteria. That means cyano!

Ive seen many people dosing carbon have an outbreak of cyano and then it only gets worse as you continue to dose. This could put in a position you have to quit dosing before you have a tank over run with cyano or other bacteria bloom. Since you cant dose your nitrates rocket up and tank crashes. Its a catch .22.

3) many unknowns still. Not everything is yet known about the effects especially long term effects of carbon dosing.

This means long term expect unforeseen problems after all your dumping god knows what into your tank in hopes of cleaning up the mess you started.

Ive seen first handle on multiple occasions when carbon dosing goes bad. Your playing roulette with your fish and your money. This is a completely avoidable problem that many of us give advise so that its avoided. I find that usually people who need to carbon dose go against most general recommendations for some reason or another.

Please note: i am not bashing anyone or anything like that, just expressing my opinion and some facts.

Thanks Schism. I appreciate the feedback. I understand you are not bashing. That's the reason I posted this thread in the first place was to hear the good and the bad. I'm not going to get offended if someone tells me they don't agree - takes a lot more than that to offend me! ;) I'll update this thread every few weeks on the progress.

ekean45 said:
Thanks Schism. I appreciate the feedback. I understand you are not bashing. That's the reason I posted this thread in the first place was to hear the good and the bad. I'm not going to get offended if someone tells me they don't agree - takes a lot more than that to offend me! ;) I'll update this thread every few weeks on the progress.

Thanks, some tend to get touchy on these subjects so i try and watch where i stick my nose lol. Keep us updated for sure.

And let's be honest I don't think they have reef AA meetings ^_^

And I agree with sch' I think if you have a nitrate problem then either too many fish , too much food , or not enough maintenance .... Adding things to reduce any levels in you tank is just a band-aid to fix a underling issue. Plus once you fix the issue you just save yourself the money your spending on the chem's your dosing ( unless this is a reason to hit the liqueur store ) :p.

Again not bashing, I have to run a phosphate media since I am using only tap water ATM until I can pick up a RO/DO unit , and then my canister will be a big powerhead ^_^.

Back
Top Bottom