Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the main thing to check for in determining when to do a water change and how large of a change to do?

I think it's all a matter of preference. I do a 20% water change every two weeks. I suppose you only really need to when trace elements go down, and when other numbers are out of wack... like needing to get your nitrates down. I've heard of some people going months... I'm assuming that they have fuges and other add-ons to help them keep their tanks nice and stable. :)

I am all for the "going for months" theory, but I want to make sure I do it right. 20% would be over 100 gallons a month for me I hope it is not that much. I have a wet/dry, UV and skimmer. I have debated having a fuge. Do they make that much of a difference?

I do 10-15 gallons a week and not all at one time. 5 gallons every 2-3 days. Just made it a part of my routine.

100 gallons is your 20%. I wish I had that problem.
I had a 55 salt with only fish. It was well stocked for 4 years with no problems. I did a water change once a year (And I am not being sarcastic) I had a really good skimmer and the fish were healthy all but a desjardini with HLLE. I think that was due to a difficiency of vitamins and minerals from the lack of changes. I would never attempt this with a reef. Why not just break it up like quarry recommended. How about 5% a week which works out to around 25 gallons. That is way more manageable.

How hard do you all try to match the temp of your new water with the temp of the aquarium? I have always figured replacing 20 percent with ice cold water and letting the heater do it's thing would be a shock to the fish. I have gotten pretty anal about making sure the temp is close.

testing for them, although I personally don't feel its necessary to test everything.

You should watch magnesium, since it greatly affects the Calcium/alkalinity relationship...but unless you have reason to suspect iodine or strontium deficiencies, I wouldn't worry too much. Its the 'fully stocked with coral' tanks that tend to use up traces quickly, and require supplementation...but if you plan to add ANYTHING then you must test for it first.
Iodine is deadly to fish and inverts if over-dosed.

You should pre-mix your water change water at least a day ahead of time. Throw an aquarium heater in the storage tank and then it will be up to temp when water change time comes.

Back
Top Bottom