Water Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
These are my results. Are fish ready for the tank? The test kit came with two Ammonia and the first bottle made the water turn a milky color so I used the second and got clear.

Attachments

• image-941545509.jpg
    image-941545509.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 77
These are what I got for ammonia. Could it be that both of the bottles have expired?

Attachments

• image-292919336.jpg
    image-292919336.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 82
you use both bottles in the same tube. i can tell your not using both in the same tube by not being enough liquid in them lol

Jmifland said:
These are what I got for ammonia. Could it be that both of the bottles have expired?

The milky one looks ok. But it shouldn't turn clear... That's weird...

Here are the new results. I'm new to this lol I didn't realize you use both bottles for the test.

Attachments

• image-13568706.jpg
    image-13568706.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 73
Now with the new completed test.

Attachments

• image-3502364390.jpg
    image-3502364390.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 91
The test kit just came in yesterday and we weren't able to test until this morning. The tank has been setup for a week and a half and the shrimp was in the tank for a week.

Oh. hmmm... can you dose with some pure ammonia and see if it goes down by morning? Thats the only way I can think of to make sure it will carry the bioload of fish. You don't wanna jump the gun. But your tests look ok. I would have expected the trates to be higher though

We will pick up some ammonia while we are out. Should we wait 24 hours to test again after the ammonia has been added? How much should be added? 5ml?

Add enough ammonia to get to 2ppm I think would be good. I would test tomorrow and it should be 0 or close to it.

Good luck! Let's hope the ammonia disappears by tomorrow! Test the nitrites too when you do the ammonia just so we know if the bacteria is converting. :)

Would this work for the ammonia. We went all over the place and Big Lots was closed when we got to it.

Attachments

• image-3967535569.jpg
    image-3967535569.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2825567785.jpg
    image-2825567785.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3104936229.jpg
    image-3104936229.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 74
Good thing we didn't buy it. I figured that would be an issue but I wanted to double check. Talked to a guy at the pet city that said he has worked with aquariums for 29 years and has never used ammonia for a cycle :/

29 years ago people used goldfish to cycle their tanks. Thats old school. We've come along way with our treatment of animals since then. I'm old enough to remember those days when I was a kid. We didn't do water changes either...lol

I figured he would know about them though since he works at a fish store. It's actually more like a Petco/Petsmart but really dirty so I wasn't too surprised about it.

The saltwater fish they had looked like they had ick which was weird because I thought that salt was used to treat ick sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom