Question on API liquid test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Question on API liquid test kit.
I have 2 Nitrate bottles, do I use both bottles in same vile, when testing.
I know the Ammonia has 2 bottles to use in one vile, then shake. I used 2 bottles for Ammonia in one vile. I used 2 bottles of Nitrate for one vile.

I did testing with vile.
My 20 Gallon tank
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
ph. 7.6
Ammonia. 0

In my 6.5 Gallon tank I have 0 Nitrates
0 and Nitrite is also 0. I did shake the bottles.
Is also 0 Ammonia for both 6.5 gallons.

Question on API liquid test kit.
I have 2 Nitrate bottles, do I use both bottles in same vile, when testing.
I know the Ammonia has 2 bottles to use in one vile, then shake. I used 2 bottles for Ammonia in one vile. I used 2 bottles of Nitrate for one vile.

I did testing with vile.
My 20 Gallon tank
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
ph. 7.6
Ammonia. 0

In my 6.5 Gallon tank I have 0 Nitrates
0 and Nitrite is also 0. I did shake the bottles.
Is also 0 Ammonia for both 6.5 gallons.
Yes, the nitrate test is with 2 reagents ( similar to ammonia test).

Your 20 gal appears to be cycled since there is nitrate with no ammonia or nitrite. To confirm this, test your tap water ( or whatever water you use to fill your aquariums) for nitrates. If they show nitrate, you would need to add some ammonia in the tank to see if the bacteria bed removes it in 24 hours before you could be sure the tank has cycled.

I test my water

Yes, the nitrate test is with 2 reagents ( similar to ammonia test).

Your 20 gal appears to be cycled since there is nitrate with no ammonia or nitrite. To confirm this, test your tap water ( or whatever water you use to fill your aquariums) for nitrates. If they show nitrate, you would need to add some ammonia in the tank to see if the bacteria bed removes it in 24 hours before you could be sure the tank has cycled.

I test my water and i had 0 ammonia. O Nitrite and 0 nitrate is my tap water and that is what I use on my tanks. Do I still add ammonia to my tank. i already have fishes as my ammonia source with their fishy poo and I also fees my fish so the left over food could I use that as ammonia? i am also using fritz complete to help cycle the tank.

I test my water and i had 0 ammonia. O Nitrite and 0 nitrate is my tap water and that is what I use on my tanks. Do I still add ammonia to my tank. i already have fishes as my ammonia source with their fishy poo and I also fees my fish so the left over food could I use that as ammonia? i am also using fritz complete to help cycle the tank.

If your tank has fish in it, your source water has no nitrates or ammonia, your readings in the tank are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate, no, you don't need to add any more ammonia and you can consider your tank "cycled."
From the looks of it, your betta tanks are a mystery. Unless you are doing major water changes in them almost daily, there should be some nitrate showing. You are saying there is 0. If there are fish in these tanks, there should be nitrates (as I said, unless you are doing big water changes near daily).

I do 50 percent water change every few days

If your tank has fish in it, your source water has no nitrates or ammonia, your readings in the tank are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate, no, you don't need to add any more ammonia and you can consider your tank "cycled."
From the looks of it, your betta tanks are a mystery. Unless you are doing major water changes in them almost daily, there should be some nitrate showing. You are saying there is 0. If there are fish in these tanks, there should be nitrates (as I said, unless you are doing big water changes near daily).

I do 50 percent water change every 3 or 4 days. Should I stop doing big water changes on my two 6.5 tanks? Also can I just add fritz complete every day without a water change?

I do 50 percent water change every 3 or 4 days. Should I stop doing big water changes on my two 6.5 tanks? Also can I just add fritz complete every day without a water change?

As a test, go 1 full week with no water changes in your betta tanks then do a nitrate test to see if there is any reading. If your fish show signs of stress before the full week is up, run your tests then change water. The issue should be ammonia but run a full panel. ( FYI, a rise in ammonia from just one fish in a 6 1/2 gallon tank would mean your tank is not cycled. ) The only time you need to use the fritz complete now is when you change water.

Back
Top Bottom