What corals do angels nip at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I REALLY want a flame angelfish for my biocube 29 reef. But they aren't reef safe. So I was wondering if I stuck to mushrooms and soft corals would I be ok? Or do they nip at those too?

A 29 is a bit small for a flame IMO. Flames can be hit or miss. One will never nip anything, one will only nip SPS and/or clams, another will never nip anything. It is risky. I wouldn't put one in a 29. In addition to the tank size alone being an issue, it means fewer corals, less rock to forage on, more likely to be nippy/damaging.

Fishguy2727 said:
A 29 is a bit small for a flame IMO. Flames can be hit or miss. One will never nip anything, one will only nip SPS and/or clams, another will never nip anything. It is risky. I wouldn't put one in a 29. In addition to the tank size alone being an issue, it means fewer corals, less rock to forage on, more likely to be nippy/damaging.

Is that just for the flame or all dwarf Angela in general?

Flame angels are one angel that is difficult to keep and have been known to die for no apparent reason. I know some people load their tanks with fast growing corals so if they start eating it won't be as big as a problem. Angels like a lot of rock work and seem to use the full length of the tank.

joy13 said:
Flame angels are one angel that is difficult to keep and have been known to die for no apparent reason. I know some people load their tanks with fast growing corals so if they start eating it won't be as big as a problem. Angels like a lot of rock work and seem to use the full length of the tank.

What angel(if any) would you recommend for that tank with just softies and shrooms?

Back
Top Bottom