What is this stuff? Hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got 40# of Aquaculture LR and it came with this green stuff on it. I am still cycling aquarium so have just thrown the live rock in to cure and help cycle the tank. Am I supposed to scrub this stuff off before putting in the tank??? Is this Hair Algae?

Is this Hair Algae?

Yes

Am I supposed to scrub this stuff off before putting in the tank???

I would, yes. Try and get it all, you don't want it to have a foot hold in your tank from the start. While cycling and curing the rock, I would turn the lights off, this may help in knocking it back. The first few months are a high nutrient time, the algae will feed off the excess nutrients produced during the cycling/curing process.

Yep...and unfortunately I have it too.....I've scraped it of my LR a couple of times, used BioZorb and done water changes...

But it seems to keep coming back....It's a real struggle so try and get rid of it now before it's too late

Good Luck

Yep, i used a toothbrush to scub it off the rock in my tank. Your phosphate level shold be 0, and get a cleaning crew to help out.

Thanx for the help. Couple of follow up questions. I am in the midst of ammonia spike in the cycle.. can I add a cleaning crew to help now or should I wait?? What do you recommend for cleaning crew to specifically help with the hair algae?

I would wait. It is my understanding that Inverts don't do well in such harsh conditions. But then again i'm no expert. I do know that under normal circumstances that, Yes a cleanup crew does a fine Job.

When your tank has cycled put a Sailfin Blennie in bye bye hair algae, Mine tore it up in no time. good luck

I agree with EMS. Waite for the tank to get through its cylce before you put any fish or inverts, then a blennie would do nicely. But while you are waiting for the tank to finish its nitrogen cycle, the hair algea can kill the life in your rocks if you dont get control ot now. Get a bucket of saltwater, a stiff tooth brush, and scrub the top layer of alea off the rocks while they are submerged in the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom