What kind of glue do i use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a frogspawn and need to glue it to my LR. what type of glue do i need to use?

You can use gel type super glue...just don't get any on the poylps. You'll have to be quick though as it sets very quickly in water. Another alternative is some two part epoxy. You can order some aquarium safe epoxy from most any retailer.

The gel type works best(any brand) as it is not as runny. There is some heat produced as it sets so get it into the water asap to help reduce the heat.

Just about anywhere! The supermarket has them, department stores. Even Lowes will have them near the tapes and adhesives. In the supermarket, look near office supplies. Usually near the tape and staplers and such. Just look for a SuperGlue Gel Pen, or other similar gel type pen.

leesanhua said:
any gel type super glue will do?
Only buy the types that contain cyanoacrylate. It will be safe for coral tissue and be sure it is only the gel, not just regular superglue.

Cheers
Steve

I put glue on my rock and let it start to setup, then I took the frag, dried off the bottom and stuck it on. I waited a minute or so while the glue set and then put it into the tank. They seem to be doing ok. I've had them in the tank since January 6 and my one frogspawn has gone from 2 branches to 3 (one of the existing branches split).

ok.
one more question. my frogspwan that i bought is attached to a small rock. so... can the super glue gel stick one rock to another? i would like to attach the small piece of rock to my LR.

You'll find the heavier the coral the harder it can be to use just superglue gel. What works very well is to use both marine epoxy puddy and superglue gel together.

Knead the epoxy, place a dab of glue on the epoxy ball and then insert the coral through both about a third the way. Add another dap of the glue on the other side of the epoxy ball and adhere to the rock in the tank where it will remain. The glue only takes a few seconds to set up and the corals weight will be a bit better supported than it would have been with just the glue.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom