What should I be doing?? (coral question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Calling all you REEF guru's!!

Ok, now that I have some corals going, what should I be doing for my tank as far as test, additives, and such?

Coral list:
Button Polyp Colony
Small Polyp Colony
Shrooms
Cabbage Leather
Xenia (pulsating)

The avipora died...(should have researched first) :(

I want to do everything possible to ensure health and growth of these and future corals.

I have a 75g tank, 105pds LR. Protein Skimmer, HOB Filter, 240watts of PC's. NO sump (few weeks I will)

I am upgrading my lights in about a week. (captivereefs be on the lookout)

I currently only test for the basics.
Trite 0
Trate 0
Ammonia 0
PH. 8.2
Salinity 1.022 - 1.023

The only thing I add is about 20 or so drops of zooplex once per week.

OK, How do I make'em grow?? TSVMIA!! (thanks so very much in advance) :wink:

I would pick up the tests for
Ca 380-450 ppm
alkalinity 2.5-3.5 meq/L
PO4 as close to 0 as possible
And make sure all levels check out

You shouldn't need any additives at this point really. Water changes will replenish everything needed, including the iodine some will claim is needed by the Xenia. Until you get some scleractinians, you don't really need much of anything else.

I would however suggest getting test kits for alk and Ca to prepare yourself if you get stony corals. They will use up a fair amount of CaCO3 as they grow and more might get added. If you plan on a softy only tank, then the water changes should do pretty much all you need.

When you get the new lights, be sure you acclimate the tank slowly each day if a much higher intensity. If PC or VHO, start off with about 4ish hrs for the first few days and then increase by ½ hr every few days afterwards until upto the proper photoperiod. If the actinics are close to the total output you have now, then just run them as normal and vary the new daylights.

If MH, run the lights as you normally would except shade/difuse the light instead. This will give the corals a better chance of adapting over a slower period and still allow for enough light. Usually using several sheets of screen door material (about 3-4) will do fine from HD. Every week or so just pull one sheet off until all are gone. Less light demanding corals like the cabbage leather should be moved down in the tank or even shaded with MH lights.

Cheers
Steve

Ok great info!! Thanks to the both of you.

Steve, I will be upgrading to two 250w MH pendants, or possible a 2 MH, PC Canopy.

Also my cabbage leather is currently about 3/4 up in the tank. Is this ok? :wink:

PS. Is the zooplex nessecary? I have a small rock anemone, and large purple tip, 4 shrimp and hermits, tree sponge.

revhtree said:
Also my cabbage leather is currently about 3/4 up in the tank. Is this ok?
Not once you get the MH, it'll get singed. Move it closer to the substrate or even under an overhang.

PS. Is the zooplex nessecary? I have a small rock anemone, and large purple tip, 4 shrimp and hermits, tree sponge.
I have many of the same types of corals you do and feed nothing other than what the fish need. The only exception is I use Biomarine phytoplankton weekly but that is mainly for pods and such. Be careful of the sponge especially with liquid food additives. Some foods can be too large in micron size and clog the pores of the sponge leading to necrosis. Bit of a tough call in that regard but I find these types of food suppliments more harmful than beneficial.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom