What the heck happened after I added this clam???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay guys true story.

I bought what I think is a Crocea clam and acclimated him and placed him in my tank. I placed him on the right side of the tank on top of some rocks and left to go somewhere for a few hours.

I come back and my two corals, torch and frogspawn are closed up with some sort of "slime" - looks like the slime from nasarrius snails. The torch coral seems a little better shaped but something definitely munched and damaged my frogspawn. The frogspawn was completely closed up and the tentacles were definitely ripped. Some pieces were hanging off and later fell off. Another piece of coral that was about the size of a golf ball was pulled out of the crushed coral which amazes me. And the clam was not where I placed it when I left.

What happened?? The simple answer is the clam went crazy and starting attacking everything...but its a clam! someone please help me understand what happened.... I'm going to sleep but I really hope my frogspawn will be okay but we'll see. Thank you everyone, help me figure this out.

My stock list is 2 clarkii's, watchman goby, pistol shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, and one small two headed frogspawn and one torch coral. Nothings changed for weeks except the clam I bought today, it is about 2-3 inches

need help guys! did my cleaner shrimp go postal and peck at my frogspawn?
Did my nasarrius climb on my frogspawn and start munching on him?
Did my clam start shooting through the water and magically destroy stuff?

the tentacles on my frogspawn were literally cut off! what happened!?

The thing that makes it so hard for me to understand is that a probably tennis ball sized branching piece of coral was completely taken out of the crushed coral and sitting on top of the substrate.

I really am leaning towards nasarrius snails even though it sounds unbelievable. They ate the frogspawn and left that slime trail and possibly were underneath the coral and just rose to the surface. But the coral that was buried was not small )x ....

That explains why it came out if the substrate, my snails are always digging around.

Back
Top Bottom