What to feed my clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kets

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've had my clownfish (false) for about 6 weeks now. She's doing great and seems very happy and healthy.

However I can't help wondering if feeding her frozen shrimp once a day is enough. Should I be alternating or supplementing with something else?

Robert

You could add some variety with a good marine flake.

Your clown will benefit from a more varied diet. Marine Flake food, Frozen cubes, Finly chopped shrimp, etc.

Many of us make our own fish food that we refer to as blender mush. This has many types of raw seafood blended up into a thick milkshake texture and then frozen.

Feeding the fish only frozen brine is like eating only twinkies. It might keep you alive but the nutrional value is next to nothing.

Try soaking the food in garlic oil or a vitamin supplement.

fishfreek said:
Your clown will benefit from a more varied diet. Marine Flake food, Frozen cubes, Finly chopped shrimp, etc.

Frozen cubes of what?

And for the finely chopped shrimp. Are we talking about the type or raw shrimp one would buy at a fish market for human consumption?

Try soaking the food in garlic oil or a vitamin supplement.

I'll try that.

Thanks!

Robert

So let me add this question...i posted this earlier but didn't get any replies. Are bloodworms from the SF Bay company good for clownfish? It says on the can "Freshwater only"...is that right?

Update,

I re-tried the marine flakes last night. I guess that after several weeks of frozen shirmp, the marine flakes were suddenly a welcome change and she accepted them gladly.

So from now on I'll alternate between the shrimp and the flakes and some occasionnal homemade mini-meals.

Thanks.

I'll be back with more questions soon. :wink:

Robert

Are bloodworms from the SF Bay company good for clownfish? It says on the can "Freshwater only"...is that right?

They will be just fine for your marine fish, so long as they eat them. To the best of my knowledge there is no difference between fresh and marine bloodworms.

HTH

ogden10 said:
Are bloodworms from the SF Bay company good for clownfish? It says on the can "Freshwater only"...is that right?

They will be just fine for your marine fish, so long as they eat them. To the best of my knowledge there is no difference between fresh and marine bloodworms.

HTH

I just received email from the SF Bay company about bloodworms, they said that they are OK for marine fish, but they should not be the staple food for the fish, only supplemental. Thanks for your reply. I just didn't want to feed them anything that would have any adverse side effects.

Back
Top Bottom