What to put in my fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to do a fuge for my 40. I'm thinking I'm going to use a 10 or 14 g rubber maid. What ever one fits best. I want chaeto in it with some life rock. But should I do a deeps sand bed? I don't really know how to be critters in the fuge because the 40g was cycled with only live rock. I have pods in a 4g that has been breeding but what else do I want in the fuge? Ill be running 2 t5ho lights when my tank lights are off.

How about mangroves, cheato, a DSB, and pods? That sounds good to mee!

I don't think I can do mangroves because I'm not going to have much clearance from the top of the tub an the top of the stand/workbench. Are the benifical organism in a dsp bacteria and will grow on their own or do I need to seed them? Do I want course or fine sand?

CleverBs said:
I don't think I can do mangroves because I'm not going to have much clearance from the top of the tub an the top of the stand/workbench. Are the benifical organism in a dsp bacteria and will grow on their own or do I need to seed them? Do I want course or fine sand?

Bacteria will seed on their own from the water flow. Chaeto Algae is my favorite if you have the lighting to grow it. I like corse aragonite or crushed coral as fine sand goes anaerobic too easily and I like the buffering crushed coral provides, but just my opinion.

I run a 2" sandbed, rubble, mangrove & chaeto. Ill be adding about 30-50 lbs of rock soon along with a few other macro algae. My goal is mainly micro fauna over nutrient export.

Gregcoyote said:
Bacteria will seed on their own from the water flow. Chaeto Algae is my favorite if you have the lighting to grow it. I like corse aragonite or crushed coral as fine sand goes anaerobic too easily and I like the buffering crushed coral provides, but just my opinion.

Chaeto rocks. One guy from aquasd.com said it works just as good as mangroves for removing nitrates.

Every handful of algae, any kind, that you throw in the garbage is nitrogen, phosphorous and all the other goodies you don't want dissolved in your water.

I have a t5ho hanging about 10" above my sump, The water level is about 7" so not very deep. Theres no reflectors on the fixture its just a cheap 2 bulb t5ho from Home Depot. If i need a better light I can do that.

Its a 3" Sand bed,With a 8LB peice of live rock. I ordered Chaeto, 5 Mangroves, and a CUC from reefcleaners today.

CleverBs said:
I have a t5ho hanging about 10" above my sump, The water level is about 7" so not very deep. Theres no reflectors on the fixture its just a cheap 2 bulb t5ho from Home Depot. If i need a better light I can do that.

Its a 3" Sand bed,With a 8LB peice of live rock. I ordered Chaeto, 5 Mangroves, and a CUC from reefcleaners today.

Just chaeto in my fuge nothin in the way obstructing it that way it can tumble as water goes thru it i have dsb in display so no need for it in fugi

You could devote a small section of it to Xenia. Lots of people run portions of their refugiums as "Xenia scrubbers". Prune it now and then and trade it in at the LFS. Just a thought.

You could devote a small section of it to Xenia. Lots of people run portions of their refugiums as "Xenia scrubbers". Prune it now and then and trade it in at the LFS. Just a thought.

yeah i have a patch of it in my tank so when i have to trim it maybe ill try that out.

CleverBs said:
yeah i have a patch of it in my tank so when i have to trim it maybe ill try that out.

Typically one form of macro will take over your fugi unless its a display fugi id just use chaeto its the most effective macro i have a 150g with 10 fish and feed daily and my chaeto keeps trates at 0 xenia consumes nitrate but not efficiently enough to use as an export just my 2 ¢

Refugiums are great! I got 10g with chaeto and 3 red mangroves, deep sand bed. (30g display tank with 4 fish) Mangroves grow much quicker when roots are buried in sand. I use regular fluorescent 6700k bulb, 10w or something like that.
So far ZERO nitrates and zero phosphates.
Good luck with your fuge!

I always grow Xenia in small reefs that can't have a sump just because it helps export nutrients. In a sump I like to keep plants. Makes things so simple.

I was looking at a refugium for my 55 g tank but I do not have a sump. I was looking at the small 1g fuges you can add on for HOB, would this be worth it?

TommyP said:
I was looking at a refugium for my 55 g tank but I do not have a sump. I was looking at the small 1g fuges you can add on for HOB, would this be worth it?

A hang-on-back fuge is way worth it! You don't have to worry about a flood if u have a power outage and your one-way valve fails as with a below-tank fuge. Still, proper setup can take into account of extra room below to prevent floods in the worse cases. A HOB fuge allows u to have less hoses to break-down & clean. U can save on buying another expensive pump as well although u may need a small powerhead in the fuge.

Back
Top Bottom