What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2nicewitit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked up a carpenter wrasse. Really like him though i already have a Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish and he is making the wrasses life a nightmare. It has only been approx 3 hours though he heeps stalking him. The damsel is a pretty fast swimmer.

Its kinda funny because the damsel was the one being bullied before by the clown, the lawnmower blenny and the Bi Color Pseudochromis.

Of course after confirming w/ the LFS, they should be fine together. Not the case so far.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to have to take one of them back. Which one would you guys take back or is there any hope for peace????;)

Take the damsel back is my recommendation. Devil is the truth!

There are a few things you can do to help though. 1 Turn the lights out when you add a new fish. 2 move some of your rock work around, this disorients your other fish and they don't notice the newbie as well as equalizes the pecking order.

Oh...take the damsel back. I'm not a fan of having them they are nasty little ankle biters....

Thanks for the quick reply. I really liked my damsel though. Loved its colour and he was my first fish. But i know if i keep him he may become more problematic when adding other additions.

Now, w/ me having only a 46 gal, most of my fish cannot exceed 3 inches. I'm also noticing more conflict w/ fish all around the same size.

My Pseudochromis locked on to my clown when they first met and didnt let go. After taping the glass he did and they havent had any other major issues since however I'm becoming a little concerned that alot of the fish that i'm able to hold may not get along.

I mean i'm trying to have a diverse amount of fish to prevent these beefs though i'm limited to the variations of fish due to the size of my tank.

Anybody has a list of NICE looking fish that are generally peaceful w/ all other fish that could fit in my 46 gal?

Thoughts, insight would be greatly appreciated.

All fish have their territorial attributes and something you'll just have to deal with. Just about any new addition will be picked on for the first several days-week so it is not surprising. I personally like damsels and unless there is physical aggression/damage I would leave them be.

I have done what Allen mentioned about cutting off the lights and moving some of the rockwork around. Everything should work out. Your wrasse will fit in the pecking order somewhere.

Do you have a quarantine currently set up? Take the Damsel out and leave him in "timeout" for a week or two while your more timid addition establishes itself, then add the damsel in.

Back
Top Bottom