whats the best salinty to stick with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just got a nice refractormeter and i want to be pretty accuract with it and my salinty
right now its at about 1.030 which i think is abit high...

1.024 is what most people try to keep. For a FOWLR tank you could go lower, but with inverts/reef tank then 1.024 is the way to go.

1.030 is WAY high. That will certainly stress corals and fish quite a bit. 1.024/1.025 - as already stated - is your target.

acutally I have heard of many aquariums kept at that level with nice corals. Its low salinity that hurts inverts.

Ya fish can handle up to, I think, around 1.040 I believe. Corals can handle fairly high levels as well. The main problem with salinity is snails, hermits, stars, etc. Don't like it very much, from what I understand atleast.

Out of curiosity what reading were you getting when you were using a hydrometer? Are they comparable or very off?

I keep my tanks between 1.024 and 1.026. The best thing to do is to make slow gradual changes and not to rush into any change. I would just thin down your change water or take an extra g or two out every couple of days to replace with RO water. Don't try to get from 1.030 down to 1.024 over night.

Hydrometers very typically read much lower than actual. The potential for salt build up or bubbles under the arm are likely to help in causing errors in the SG reading. IME it is quite typical for a hydrometer to read low by .002 to .005.

Back
Top Bottom