Where to buy these foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BTA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I am trying to figure out where to get the following foods. Do I have to find a LFS that sells these or can I find these at seafood/grocery stores? Also if you know of any online places that sells these and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd appreciate a link.

- Krill
- Mysis shrimp
- Selcon - what the heck is this anyway?
- Zoe - also no idea on what this is!
- Silversides - ditto

TIA

selcon is a trace element supplement for corals, by Zoe you mean zooplankton which are a large type of plankton that can be fed to fish/corals

What are you trying to feed, i can give you some ideas on "homemade" concoctions for feeding corals/fish.

<<Zoe>> and <<Selcon>> should be available from most on-lines but the foods are primarily sold frozen and may be a better idea to phone around to a few LFS's....

Cheers
Steve

I can get you the selcon. I would not mail order frozen food as it gets very exspensive. Extra box charge and overnight shipping usually are par for the course. Plus if it happens to thaw UPS probably won't cover it under insurance.

Thank you all for the responses.
LOL I think I never clicked on the additive section of any online site! Always thought they're bad anyway. But I guess selcon and Kent's zoe/zoecon are good since a lot of people soak their food in it. I'll give them a try.

jks1: I would love to see your homemade recipe. For plankton, I bought the very expensive little bottle of bioplankton...but I will try DT's phyto next. But I meant Kent Marine's Zoe which I've head a lot about.

For the homemade mush, is it ok to mix in the leftover stuff grocerystores throw out? The inedible parts like fish guts and stuff...OR will they have too much bacteria and harmful stuff for the fish?

thanks again

I would just use the freshest cuts of good stuff you can buy, no guts. It won't take much to fill a blender full and your cost per oz should still be pretty low even though you are buying fresh shrimp, clams, etc.

I'm embarking on a mush-journey myself here pretty soon, gonna get it all together and make me some frozen food

I have been thinking about trying to procure some of those disposable plastic cube tray things that the store bought stuff coes in, wouldnt that be handy.

I'll do some digging on that. :)

when making the blender mush, use the whole creature...unpeeled shrimp, ungutted fish, all the parts of the squid...everything. My mush is made of squid, cod, scallops, shrimp, crab, whatever is seafood and is on sale. I then add nori (seaweed) some garlic oil and zoe. Blend it all up, put it in ziplock bags, lay it out flat so that the mush is very thin. Then when it is frozen, you can just break off pieces.
hth

Thanks Hara & snap. I never thought of garlic oil -duh!- and the ziplock bag... Just like snap I was thinking of putting it in a plastic pill-box since it has covers.

About the fish guts, one of my friends is a chef at a restaurant and he can give me just the inedible parts. They might sit around for a few hours (cuz obviously they don't refrigerate it) before I get it. Is it ok to add this to the mush too or am I better off with the stuff I buy myself?

Back
Top Bottom