Upside Down Catfish Trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plutoniumcaterpillar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sweet, dear to my heart 15+ yr old Upside Down Catfish that has been doing great for a long time. Suddenly about 5 days ago he developed an issue swimming, where he can't control his body and has trouble staying upright when resting. Though he's an upside down cat, he typically does not swim upside down, so the sideways laying and motor control problems are definitely wrong and different for him. He's better able to right himself upwards now than he had been initially, but he still can't move properly. He'll wiggle himself to go forward, but then can't stop and just kind of careens forward until he bumps into something. I can tell it distresses him, but once again he's getting more used to it and has settled down from the way he was initially.

The biggest issue along with the motor function is that he has not visibly eaten food since this began. I have done research on the symptoms and it sounds like this could be a swim bladder issue, which I know can be caused by a whole slew of things. I saw that it recommended I try feeding boiled peas and frozen daphnea to him in case the problem is being caused by constipation. He does have a very, very round belly and has had this for many years, though I'm wondering if it's more round than usual. I was able to get both the peas and daphnea right at his mouth, but he did not show interest. He's usually a gluttonous dude! With the daphnea I could see him gulping it into his mouth, but then it would just get sent out his gills. The peas he did not seem interested.

I also received a recommendation from my LFS to try treating with API General Cure, which I just completed a full 2 dose treatment of and did a 25% water change. It does not seem to have helped at this point, am wondering how long this could take to see results if the cause is indeed parasitic.

Any advice on what the cause of my sweet Upside Down Cat's condition is and how to treat it would be so appreciated. I love him dearly and want to do anything to help him get better. I even contacted my local university vet to see if they would give me advice, but they wanted $200+ to see him in person, no advice over the phone. I honestly think that would cause too much unnecessary stress on the big guy anyway, even if the cost was lower.

I'll try to answer of these questions as best I can:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

15+ YR OLD AFRICAN UPSIDE DOWN CATFISH. HAS SUDDEN MOTOR FUNCTION PROBLEMS. CAN MOVE AROUND, BUT HAS TROUBLE STOPPING AND DIRECTING PRECISELY WHERE TO GO. AT REST WILL FALL OVER ON SIDE. CAN CORRECT IT HIMSELF, BUT ISN'T ALWAYS EASY. APPETITE IS CURRENTLY COMPLETELY GONE, NORMALLY EATS LARGE MEALS. BELLY IS NORMALLY VERY ROUND, BUT IS CURRENTLY VERY VERY ROUND, MAY BE BLOATED.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

TEMP: 75F
pH: 7.6 ON 2/6/22
WILL TRY TO UPDATE WHEN THERE IS TIME

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

20 GAL LONG. THIS TANK SET UP FOR 8YRS, FISH HAS BEEN WOTH ME FOR 15+ YRS.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

PENGUIN BIOWHEEL 150

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

TANKMATES ARE:
DOJO LOACH, 6"
FARLOWELLA CAT, 5"
ALBINO BRISTLENOSE SAILFIN PLECO, 5"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

WATER CHANGES EVERY 1-2WKS. USUALLY 15%.
LAST WATER CHANGE WAS TODAY, DID 25% FOR THE LAST STEP OF THE GENERAL CURE PARASITE TREATMENT.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

15+ YRS.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

A FEW WEEKS AGO STARTED USING REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FROM LOCAL GROCERY STORE FOR WATER CHANGES, WHEN I'VE ONLY EVER USED TAP. I DISCOVERED MY TAP WATER IS OFF THE CHARTS ALKALINE (NOT SURE IF THIS IS NORMAL), SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY THE WATER FROM THE STORE TO SEE IF IT HELPED (ONE OF MY OTHER TANKS HAS PH WAY TOO HIGH, WANTED TO HOPEFULLY CORRECT IT WITH THIS AND USED IT ON THIS TANK ALSO). UNSURE IF THIS COULD HAVE CAUSED MY FISH'S PROBLEM.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

NORMALLY FEED EVERY OTHER DAY. I FEED HIKARI MINI WAFERS TO THIS GUY, HE LOVES THEM. ALSO GIVE HIM SOME NEW LIFE SPECTRUM LARGE FISH PELLETS (3mm).
SINCE THIS PROBLEM HAS DEVELOPED I'VE TRIED FEEDING BOILED PEAS (SKINS REMOVED) AND FROZEN DAPHNEA. NEITHER HAVE ENTICED HIM, NOR HAVE HIS HIKARI MINI WAFERS.

Thank you for any help you can provide! <3

Last edited:
I am so sorry you are having problems with your very dear fish.

Do you have a quarantine tank?

Changing water types is often a stressor for a fish which has been living a certain way for a long time.

The lifespan for this type of fish I just read is around 15 years. I recently lost a favorite fish lifespan was around 7 years which was his age. So it is very real about having an ill fish and wanting to do anything you can to help.

If there is constipation, then you can also try adding an Epsom Salt treatment. It is something I highly recommend especially whenever there is possible bloating.

Here is a thread about using it for a treatment. You can do this in a QT or in the whole tank.

A couple thoughts. Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? If not there is a good bunch of info on that and other things in there, link is in my signature.

Previously to making the change to RO water were you adding regular tap water when there was evaporation. If so, by doing that you compound the minerals and other solids and can get the numbers off the charts as you mention. Also known as old tank syndrome.

The fish can grow used to dealing with the incremental changes over months and years.

So if you made some changes with the RO water it could have stressed the fish in it's old age.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html

Back
Top Bottom