Wild inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fischerman45

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay.. I know I'm about to get lots of crap for posting this but I'm just curious.. I live in Texas and go down to the coast quite often, while I was cast netting I caught a nice, green pistol shrimp and a cool regular shrimp. What's the main risks of introducing them into my tank? It's a reef tank, but other than them eating corals. I'm going to keep the pistol shrimp at least and the other is in my curing tank.

QT them of course and if nothing goes wrong they should be fine. acclimation is the only problem you may face if they are pest free

They are curing with my live rock so I guess that's close enough to a QT:)
If they QT for a while and they're okay then everything should be okay? No bacteria or anything like that, correct?

Most fish, inverts in the trade are from the wild. The sooner they are introduced to a healthy tank the healthier they will be, so really as long as it QTs fine there is no greater risk than usual of brining in disease.

Nobody has yet managed to breed tangs in captivity yet...Every single tang you see in a fish tank was wild caught. Most of the things in the hobby came from the wild, so you're basically just cutting out the middle man haha.

Back
Top Bottom