Will a Blue Hippo Tang get more color once in a stable envir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittchic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There is a hippo tang at my lfs that I'd like to get but he is a little dull in color. He seems to be healthy and he ate well, I'm just a little concerned because his color isn't very bright. The lfs said he will get more color once he is in a more stable environment, is this true? I'm wondering if I should buy him or just wait for their next shipment to see if there are any more colorful ones.

they do turn a drab color when stressed or even sometimes after lights out and they are resting. How long have they had this hippo in the store? I would definitely not get it if they have had it for only a short amount of time.

Once you get him on a good diet, the color should improve. These fish do tend to be a little more colorful as juvies and will get a little more drab as they get older.

LFS lighting may also have something to do with it. Some LFS around here have poor lighting and makes the fish look dull. This creates a bit of a "catch 22" for you. Color may improve if in a better enviornment with better nutrition. However, buying a fish in this condition violates the guidelines of choosing and buying the best possible livestock (or rather not buying poor looking or sick livestock). Up to you...

Back
Top Bottom