Wrasse suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ByzantineWV

Aquarium Advice Regular
Want a wrasse that is aggressive but I don't want them to eat my clean up crew.

Six line. I've just got snails and crabs and he doesn't really bother them but I don't know about shrimp if you have any. My wrasse loves shrimp.

Both of my six lines (2 different tanks) done mess with the shrimp, but both wrasses are smaller. Most fish know that cleaner shrimp are purposeful and don't eat them. I have some pretty large aggressive fish in my 180g (large porkie puffer and large Niger trigger) and neither pay much mind and enjoy the cleanings.

ByzantineWV said:
Want a wrasse that is aggressive but I don't want them to eat my clean up crew.

A six line can hold its own for being a smaller wrasse. If your looking for bigger perhaps a bird wrasse?

U have a Melanurus wrasse and he leaves my zoas, hammer, snails, and hermits alone and he's about full size

We just picked up a lunar wrasse for the 180g and so far, so good. Finding his spot to hide. Very active and love the colors.

I have 9 wrasses in my tank and none of them touch my corals.

I have:
2 fairy wrasses
3 flasher wrasses
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 hoevens wrasse
1 leopard wrasse
1 mystery wrasse

Watch out with the lunar wrasse had one for over a year before it started eatin crabs, snails, fish...everything that moved.

Greg - How do you keep the cleaner wrasse alive? Being obligate cleaners, my understanding is that they cannot or will not eat anything they can't pick off another fish. Is your tank huge with tons of fish or did you train it to accept prepared foods? I love the cleaner wrasses and would get one if I thought I could provide for it properly.

Over the years, I have had mixed success with them. I do have a.lot of fish and critters wrasses like to feed on. But this last one is only in the system for about 90 days. He is fat and eating anything I offer him. He is almost 3" long, so he is a big one, capable of eating pretty big bits of food. He also cleans the fish, but I don't think there are enough parasites in a closed system to get keep them alive that way...and who would want their fish covered in bugs so a cleaner wrasse could stay fat! I will claim success if he lives 5 years or more. But for now, he is fat and eating well. He likes frozen brine, but I mostly feed him and the others my own concoction. I would say he is like keeping a Mandarin, if you get a big fat one that isn't finicky, you can probably keep him long term.

Back
Top Bottom