Xenia coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine did the same thing. I changed the bulbs in my T5 fixture and they started pulsing again like crazy! Not sure if that was a coincidence or not. Is your xenia in an area where it gets flow? They don't seem to pulse if they are getting flow. Mine is in an area where it gets a little flow, and if I turn the PH off it pulses again. Mine have grown lots of new pieces too. If you have it on a rock it will move and grow up towards the light!

Alk.5. Ph 8.2, Calcium 380 salinity .023. Nitrate, nitrites and ammonia are zero. Phosphate is .25 ppm. Could it be the phos?

xenia are known to stop pulsing, doesnt mean theyre dying or anything, sometimes they just do. i know the newer colonies on mine dont pulse, or when mine are budding/creating new tissue they dont

My zenias stopped pulsing after 6 months of being in the tank, then slowly but surely they schriveled down but still alive. Been that way since. Had them for about a year and a half. Everything else thrives.

Readings seem to be okay. How old is your tank? Alk. is a little low but not that bad.

The tanks birthday is December 26, 2009. It looks good if you didn't know that it was suppose to pulse you wouldn't think anything was wrong

My xenias never pulse and i've got some in high flow areas and some in low flow areas, however that hasn't slowed them down from growing...

Not all Xenias are the pulsing kind. I have heard that they like systems with some Phosphate and Nitrate. In fact some keep them in refugium and harvest them just like macro algae.

The ones in the reef I maintain were huge until i switch to an ATS and the Phosphate dropped off. I started feeding heavily and they slowly came back. So I think there is some truth to the 'dirty water' theory. That, and I was told that if you run an ATS and get to true zero N and P that the Xenia will likely die.

Other than that, I would think that as long as they have enough light and are not in heavy flow, they should be pulsing.

Oh yeah, I've also heard that they have a finite life span of about 2 years. If you frag them by just slicing off at the base, they grow right back, so frag them whenever someone else wants some. I've heard if they die they will emit toxins so watch carefully.

Back
Top Bottom