Yellow Polyps in bad shape... help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hairless ape

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had these yellow polyps for almost a year... up until a couple weeks ago they were thriving.. then suddenly they started shriveling up and dying... I had a few days of above ideal salinity levels in the tank, but I did a water change and got those levels down to normal but they still won't rebound. my water temp is at 82 degrees and here are a few other levels:

Nitrates:20
Nitrites: 0
Alkalinity: 190
ph:8

These levels are pretty much always the same... I do PWC about every 2 - 3 weeks and as I said the yellows have been thriving under these conditions. Are there any other levels I should be testing for that could be affecting the Yellow Polyps?... as you can see from the picture I have also had some Brown Polyps growing in the tank they just started out of no where and are going like gangbusters.. I find a new one every week.. while inversely I seem to lose a Yellow Polyp every week.. does anyone have any advice???

thank you

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 328
I don't think those are brown polyps, they are aiptasia. And I think they have deadly stingers if other corals touch them. Maybe they are stinging your yellow polyps to death, they do look pretty close. Or maybe your yellow polyps are sensing the close by growth of aiptaisia and dying out because of it. I'm no expert though, just a thought.

lol, brown polyps. Not laughing at you.. just never heard aiptaisa being called brown polyps before. You're going to want to get rid of the aiptasia, because they are more likely the cause of your yellow polyps death.

Try reading this:
Aiptasia Removal

Which was graciously provided by Innovator. :)

Here's another great link on aiptasia removal by FantasyReef:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database.php?p=viewitem&dbid=11&itemid=4

well another layer of salt water tank ignorance has been peeled away. I have been so pleased with myself for this new lifeform that is growing in my tank, being that it looked so similar to my yellow polyps I presumed it was just another sign of a healthy tank bringing forth life. here I come to find out I am instead fostering the growth of a little plague demon, had I not had the Yellow polyps and seen their reaction I probably would have let the Aiptasia grow out of control. Thanks to all with greater knowledge than mine for sharing from your pool. I am commencing my crusade against the aiptasia nems post haste.

LOL! Fostering the growth of a little plague demon! Hahaha!! Sad.. but so true. Aiptasia are evil, any way you look at it.

yeah don't feel bad I did the same thing, my live rock came with two of them. I was sad when something in my tank ate one of them. Then I did some research to find out what I really had....got a peppermint shrimp and now its gone :eek:p

Back
Top Bottom