Yellow Poylps GONE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a yellow poylp colony of over 30 poylps. They slowly started disappearing, one by one. Yesterday they were down to two, and this morning there are none.

My first thought was the pepp shrimp, then I discovered a black crab the other day. All the fish are in qt until Friday, and they did not do it, so I am thinking the crab. What do you guys think?

What is a good trap I could get or make to get this little bugger? I DO NOT want to kill it, and I won't.

There goes another $25.00 on a coral, down the drain, or should I say down the throat! 8O

Man we just seem to have the worse luck. MY toadstool leather never has perced back up, still laying on the sand. I would say the crab is to blame. Get a coke bottle (a reg one should be big enough). cut the top off just big enough for him to get inside, then cut the "funnel" off and invert it. place a piece of shrimp or something inside (weight it down), and place it in the tank close to where you saw him. Watch it close cause all your critters will take a try at it.

Rev I'd definitely suspect the crab. a ton of crabs are NOT reef safe, and the fact that yellow polyps are small and non-stinging doesn't help their survival rate.

I woud suspect the crab as well....I lost countless snails to the 5++ crabs that came on my LR. I just tilted a glass against a rock near his spot and put food attached to a rock in the bottom. the crab slide down the side but couldn't climb back out. I also speared 2 others but I know you don't want to kill them. I didn't want to kill mine either but I got so frustrated after a few weeks or trying to catch all of them.

I'm not sure what that fish is but I saw it for sale a site not too long ago, it was $600 I think....for the life of me I can't remember what site it was though but they had a few rare expensive fish.

scuba_steve said:
also anyone have a idea what the orange fish is on the main page let me know please :)
Flame boxfish (Anaplocapros Lenticularis). Click the FAQ on the main page and then #21 on the list :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I am going to try the coke bottle method tonight myself to try and cut my crab population down considerably. :|

When I was a kid, we used to tie a piece of chewed gum ontp a sparkplug and leave it in the creek out side our home. The next day we would have a couple crawdads (mudbugs, yum) stuck to the gum (the claw). I have never tried this for any other purpose, but the concept may well work for crabs. Course, as with any other 'trap' your never guaranteed what you'll get.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom