Zoanthids loosing color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPUCKETT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some of my Zoanthids are loosing there color. Do i have them to close to the 175 halides?

LIght and color can be tricky. Are they new to the tank? If so, what type of light are they used to? Fading can also be an indication of declining water parameters. Can you list yours?

I agree with Brian in that if you got them from your LFS and they were used to lower lighting and now they have metal hallides then that would be a problem. Also as he stated it could be water problems. I would also be interested in some water check results. Also where are they located in the tank?

They definitley adjust their color dependent on your lighting. Just to echo what the other guys said, check what kind of light they were under before you got them, and adjust according to that.

Lighting has a lot to do with the color as has been stated. I have a rock that I broke in half that was covered with zoas, one half is in my nano (5g 20w) and the other half is in my 72g reef (570w of light) you would not believe me that they are the same kind of zoa that's how different they look under different lighting.

Also you should make sure that your water params are in check and that you are doing regular PWCs that is VERY important to the health of your corals and fish!

my water permeters are in good shape as we do regular water changes. they were under vho's now there hunder 175 halides

JPUCKETT said:
my water permeters are in good shape as we do regular water changes.
PWC's are great, but they are no guarantee your parameters are good. I would invest in some basic tests, ex. nitrite/nitrate, PH, Alk, etc., if you have not already or have a LFS test for you at least occasionally.

If the zoanthids where brighter under VHO's I'd say you should lower them in your tank. Best to start towards the bottom, and go from there. Some zoo's really appreciate high light, while others tend to prefer medium light and flow. HTH

i do regular test such as nitrates and ammonia and salinity what else do you suggest i test fr in the reef tank?

JPUCKETT said:
i do regular test such as nitrates and ammonia and salinity what else do you suggest i test fr in the reef tank?
I test for temp., SG, PH, Ca, Alk, Mg(occasionally), nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are usually only present if something is out of whack, so I don't normally test for them unless something appears stressed. If your tank is newer, then an occasional ammo/trite testing is wise, to be sure everything is functioning/balanced.

I have a calcium reactor on the tank as well.
Reactors use CO2, so it's important to monitor PH w/ them. I'm not very familiar w/ Ca reactors, but I would assume you will need to monitor Ca/Alk fairly closely to make sure your not adding too much or too little.?
FWIW, I'm not sure if you know or not, but very high Ca/Alk levels can cause precipitaion of carbonates, causing a "snow storm" in the tank and a loss of all or most of your Alk, along w/ other possible after effects.

Nitrates are 0
Amonia 0
ph 12.01
ORP 375

i also have co2 on the tank as well

Ph should be lowered very slowly. Livestock does not respond well to rapid changes in Ph. I would suggest doing a 5% water change every day until Ph reaches a normal limit. DO you know how it got so high?

I have an aqua controller II on the tank it maybe reading wrong. Im goin to take a sample of my water to the LFS and get a test run. What test kit do you suggest for testing PH?

Back
Top Bottom