Red Goniopora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deangmcn41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
[/b]Where in the world has everyone been on this forum? Anyway, I just bought a complete tank setup from one of my customers. Its a 29 gallon setup. The point of this story is I have heard from some of my customers that they have been told by other lfs that red goniopora is very difficult to keep. Anyone still thinking so needs to come to my shop and check out this red goniopora that is in this 29 gallon aquarium that I bought back from one of my customers. It is to me with out a doubt the prettiest coral I have ever seen. This coral was purchased from my store about 3 1/2 years ago and has steadily grown since. By 6 in the evening it measures nearly 11 inches from one polyp to the other. I wont even try to describe its color but if I can beg, borrow, or steal a digital camera I will try to post a picture of it this week.
If in the past you have tried green goniopora and lost it, you might still want to try a red one, they seem to be MUCH hardier than the green ones. :wink: If this coral does do well for you , you will be greatly rewarded with its beauty. Oh yeah, one other thing to keep in mind, use great caution when adding this coral in a tank that has clown fish in it as they may harass it to death!!! :( Good luck. If any of you have tried this coral with or without success please respond to this thread and let me know. Thanks in advance, Dean McNutt.

Dean, the rocks/coral Look great in the tank. Glad I bought them. I will try to bring a camera by tomorrow to take a pic of the RED gonipora. Thanks for the killer deal.
Tony

yeah i bought a red goniopora from dean about 9 months ago. it was about the size of a soda can when i bought it. since then it has grown considerably not to mention extends it's polyps some 3 inches away from the base. i would highly recommend this coral to anyone with an established tank. oh yeah and go to dean to get it cuase he always has nice ones to choose from.

oh yeah one other thing if you want to see a picture of my goniopora you can look at my photo gallery at the full tank shot. that was taken a few months ago and the coral has grown a little but you get the idea. also the picture does not give any justice to the true red color of the coral.

Kribbz, thanks for responding. I think the red goniopora has to be one of the prettiest corals that is commonly passed up because of bad experiences with green gonioporas in thier pasts. If hard coral are doing well in ones established tank red goniopora should do great. Take special note of the one you purchase however to make sure it is a flawless speciman. Any new die off on a coral sitting in a dealers tank may indicate the coral wont do well. If it is old die off and starting to heal from it , it should be fine. Good luck

Well I broke down and bought the Goniapora Dean is talking about. Without a doubt it is a awesome coral. Its polyps extended about 2 inches last night after being in the tank about 3 hours. Cant wait till they extend about 5. I have to slowly acclimate it to my lights as they are much brighter than the tank it was in previously. Thanks for a great coral dean!

Back
Top Bottom