10 gal. tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insanejellyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 10 gallon freshwater tank set up in my dorm (biggest housing allows unfortunately). So far I have 2 black neon tetras, 1 emerald cory, 1 zebra cory, a dwarf gourami, a bamboo shrimp, and an apple snail. The tank is also planted with 2 amazon swords (Planning on getting more plants). I was wondering though what else would go good in the tank with the little community I already have. Does anyone have any good ideas that would go along with the setup or just any advice or tips in general? I haven't had a wet tank in about 7 years and held 3 red belly piranhas which are illegal where I live now so I had to get rid of them. Thank you all for your time!

I got a 10 gallon freshwater tank set up in my dorm (biggest housing allows unfortunately). So far I have 2 black neon tetras, 1 emerald cory, 1 zebra cory, a dwarf gourami, a bamboo shrimp, and an apple snail. The tank is also planted with 2 amazon swords (Planning on getting more plants). I was wondering though what else would go good in the tank with the little community I already have. Does anyone have any good ideas that would go along with the setup or just any advice or tips in general? I haven't had a wet tank in about 7 years and held 3 red belly piranhas which are illegal where I live now so I had to get rid of them. Thank you all for your time!

I would say that your tank is pretty much stocked to its fullest potential. What size filter are you running on it? Also, Zebra Corys should be kept in a group of 4 or more, but that's just a suggestion yours will be fine. Try using AqAdvisor.com it will give you an idea of your tank capacity also along with suggestions of filtration and water changes! If you don't mind i would love to see a picture of your tank, i wish everyone posted tank pictures with their posts!

I'll definitely get pictures up soon. It's just a little project I wanted to work on to liven up my dorm room with. I've kept tanks before but this is the fist tank I've had that I take care of on my own.

I'll definitely get pictures up soon. It's just a little project I wanted to work on to liven up my dorm room with. I've kept tanks before but this is the fist tank I've had that I take care of on my own.
Understandable, I am also in college but get the luxary of staying home and attending the local university, Ive seen some gloomy dorms that a fish tank would lighten up and add a little spark to!

You could try some fancy guppies

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well here's the pics of my little community. I got everyone except for the emerald cory who is afraid of the camera and the snail. Anyway here you all go!

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_141345.jpg
    IMG_20141002_141345.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Snapchat-20140929120402.jpg
    Snapchat-20140929120402.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Snapchat-20140929115605.jpg
    Snapchat-20140929115605.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Snapchat-20140929114855.jpg
    Snapchat-20140929114855.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 87
You're pretty much fully stocked...If you really must get more fish, get one more black neon tetra or one more cory as those are both species that like to be kept in groups. More plants will also be a good biological filter...and you should change probably 30-40% water every week.

I was plannin on getting atleast 1 or 2 more black neons and that's it. I will get a bit more plants. As for water maintenance I clean the filter and change about 50% of the water every week and a half.

Looking to sell a wet dry system and 120 tanks. The system ran a pets smart fish department. Very big and robustuploadfromtaptalk1412926059290.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412926120280.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412926140593.jpg

I agree your tank is pretty much stocked. Also, the Amazon swords will quickly outgrow a 10 gallon. They get HUGE unless you have one of the dwarf varieties.

It depends.. I wouldn't recommend amazon swords in a high-tech 10 gallon, but here's a pic of a regular amazon sword in my 10 gal. As you can see, they fit the tank perfectly.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413034481.299969.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nope. They were much taller 18 months ago when I set up the tank. I had to trim them to fit them in at first. No root tabs or macro ferts, only flourish micro and 1/2 dose excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks alot on the info about the amazon swords and what was what I thought was the emerald cory. That's what the pet store had them labeled as. Should of known a little better.

Back
Top Bottom